Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Spearfishing on the American; it has begun

Default Spearing Stripers....

After my initial, emotional, reaction to the change in the regs on this, I've adopted the approach that I've had on other issues of this nature. If it's legal, I'm not going to say to much about it. We all had our say in what we thought the outcome of spearfishing for Stripers would be and the regs were changed anyway. Striper Mike (McKenzie) is working with a group of fishers/spearos to reach some type of agreement for a proposal to modify the change. Not much else we can do for now.

Not sure that spears/spearguns are banned by the section cited. Seems like there's room to interpret the code to apply to wildlife, not fish, and the weapons listed don't specifically identify spearguns. Could "....air guns, spring guns...." be seen as spears/spearguns?? They wouldn't normally be used to kill wildlife. Looks to me like the weapons listed are those that are commonly used on land not under water but since the section is obviously aimed at public safety maybe it does cover spears/spearguns. Probably a good idea to call the Sac County Parks Department for clarification before heading to the river.

I agree with the sentiment of Mike O that most, if not all, of the spearo's will be ethical and most everyone will follow legal requirements. We have to hope that everyone realizes the impact of killing large Stripers has on their population and dangers to health of consumming large amounts of mercury laden fish. Hopefully, they won't take/kill Stripers exclusively for photo ops; then toss 'em. Some may not but that's not much different than those fisherman who do the same, each year.

Time to move on.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

You guys are only kidding yourselves if you think that the ethical spearos are the only ones to utilize these new regulations. For years there have been a few scumbags who used to illegally spear large stripers on the American, I have personally seen them dragging multiple large fish on a couple of occasions. These same guys will be all over this now that it's legal, and in clear water like the American and Feather a few could do a lot of damage in a short amount of time. There are many people out there who don't care about ethics or the importance of not killing large stripers, they only want as much as they can take right now.
    And Darian, I'm pretty sure that a speargun would fall under the category of not allowed in the parkway, but I will be checking on this once back in town to be sure.

Mike O Guest

And there are no unethical anglers? This will turn out to be a wash. The ethicals and unethicals will even out. And all of us "Damn b*#@%#d"s will be able to use the resource, like all of us pure-as-the-driven-snow FFers.

It IS legal to keep trophy stripers caught on a fly, no?

The concern is really about the OPPORTUNISTS that take up spearfishing..... I highly doubt the spirit of Mike O trascends to said OPPORTUNISTS, otherwise, they would've been spearfisherman long before the reg change.

Poachers are poachers. The new reg just handed them another methodology, that unfortunately, isn't illegal.

And with the current low flows on the A...... ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Guru View Post
    Talked to a friend this morning who was lunching at Howe to hunt for some stripes and shad, he said a spear guy was gearing up in the lot. This has the potentail for big trouble to the resident fish in that section, hopefully( but I doubt it) they dont take the big girls that never leave that area.
    Does anyone know if it's even legal to use a spear gun in the American River parkway? I know they passed the bill allowing the spearos to do thier thing but I'm wondering if it's even legal to posess a spear gun in the parkway. I'm thinking it's not but if anyone has any insight on this then feel free to chime in.
    While I can't quote the "American River Parkway" rules and regs the Spearfisher was legal with respect to the Fish & Game Code. Here is a list of waters that are now open to spearfishing for striped bass..

2.30. Spearfishing.
    Spearfishing is permitted only in:

(a) The Colorado River District for carp, tilapia, goldfish and mullet, all year.
    (b) The Valley District and Black Butte Lake (Tehama County) for carp, tilapia, goldfish, striped bass, western sucker, Sacramento blackfish, hardhead, Sacramento pikeminnow and lamprey, from May 1 through September 15, except that no spearfishing is permitted in:
    (1) Shasta County (see Section 2.12).
    (2) Tehama County except Black Butte Lake.
    (3) Butte Creek (Butte Co.).
    (4) Feather River below Oroville Dam (Butte Co.). (Take note Tony B.)

(5) Designated salmon spawning areas (See Fish and Game Code Section 1505). Which are described as:

The American River between Nimbus Dam and a point one mile downstream from Arden Way. (Which
    would be about the bend in the river north of the intersection of Folsom Blvd and Passeo Rio Way)

The Mokelumne River between Pardee Dam and Lockeford.
    The Stanislaus River between Goodwin Dam and Riverbank.
    The Tuolumne River between La Grange Dam and the Geer Road (J14) Bridge.
    The Merced River between Crocker Huffman Dam and Cressey.

Back in January when the striped bass community first learned that this reg change was coming, we had a lot of reservations about what would happen to the big female stripers that reside in the rivers.

We had a conference call between representatives of both striped bass fishers and spearfishers during which many of the fears were allayed. It was pointed out that in reality the big females would not be "sitting ducks" as was the common fear...Also for the most part the spearos stated they would not target the big females for the same reasons that we don't... Throughout the conversation they were reasonable and informed about the fishery.. We all agreed to see how it all shakes out and to keep an eye on things as the season progresses. Also, DFG will be watching for any excess harvest and or poaching that the reg. change might foster in the market fishing and poaching community that we all know about.

Mike

They did open it up this year for spearguns from the arden rapids and down. Have a friend that is really into saltwater spear fishing and he is planning on hittin the American. I warned him not to take the big ones and only target the 5- 8 lbers....best eating.

Mike O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike McKenzie View Post
    While I can't quote the "American River Parkway" rules and regs the Spearfisher was legal with respect to the Fish & Game Code. Here is a list of waters that are now open to spearfishing for striped bass..

4) Feather River below Oroville Dam (Butte Co.). (Take note Tony B.)
    This is only the Feather in Butte County.

Thank you for your well reasoned response. Nice to know some people don't consider us "damned b@$+@&6"s

With respect Mike O, I didn't label you as anything. You labeled yourself as a "spearo" and now made everyone on this board aware that you intend to kill striped bass in the American River.

If I see ANYONE keeping or killing a large striper I have a talk with them. I see plenty of fishermen keeping big fish that should have been released. Most are caught throwing swim baits or dunking minnows and sardines and are caught legally by chance. A few of these guys that fish regularly WILL throw the big ones back. Even some of the more reputible guides will encourage their clients to release the big one back into the river system. They are aware of the harm killing these big fish will do to future populations and I applaud their effort for trying to save these big fish while at the same time keeping their clients happy.

As a former spearfisher myself, I am well aware of barbed shafts, reel packs, and pole spears like Hawaiian Slings. Three prong spear heads like you've shown are not meant for large fish and were designed around killing small reef fish for food. Using a head like this on a "legal size" striper will more than likely result in a lost fish now with fatal injuries left to die a slow death.

I have no problem with spearing all the trash fish there are, but to spear a game fish is like paying to shoot a trophy buck or elk in a fenced coral.

Lastly, with the use of spears and other such equipment, there is no such thing as Catch & Release. Nor is there any way to accurately measure the size of the fish before shooting it.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

I stopped eating striper when striper after striper in the 5-10 lbs were full of some sort of worms. But I can see the concern about people targeting bigger fish. I hope it will not be the case but we will see as time progresses.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Mike O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post
    You all know damn well that if there's a choice for this guy to shoot a big fish vs. a little fish he will without thought shoot the biggest fish that comes into his sight. He probably has no idea how old that big fish is, how much mercury is stored in it's flesh, or how killing it takes millions of eggs out of the future spawning population.

Damn b*#@%#d probably won't even eat it. He'll just take a picture, brag it up, and throw it in a dumpster somewhere. If it is legal and permitted there ought to signs up about what killing these larger fish does to the population. What about posting signs in or around local dive shops that sell spearguns. Maybe get the shop owners to make an effort to protect these "unedible" big fish.

Damn AGAIN! The next thing you know they'll be spearing them in the Feather! Ya, I'm pissed,
    Tony
    Do you know who this guy is? The one you labeled a "Damn b*#@%#d"? I bet not. Which means, by association, all of us who spear stripers are "Damn b*#@%#d"s because it could be anyone. And it's offensive, because you did not say IF he keeps a fish, he is a "Damn b*#@%#d", you made the assumption that the "Damn b*#@%#d probably won't even eat it. He'll just take a picture, brag it up, and throw it in a dumpster somewhere." And by association, that could have been me. So yes, your lump sum, knee-jerk reaction offended me.

If you want to "have a talk" to people who spear big stripers, do you also "have a talk" with those who keep trophies on the river? Every time?