Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spearfishing on the American; it has begun

Default Spearfishing on the American; it has begun

Talked to a friend this morning who was lunching at Howe to hunt for some stripes and shad, he said a spear guy was gearing up in the lot. This has the potentail for big trouble to the resident fish in that section, hopefully( but I doubt it) they dont take the big girls that never leave that area.
    Does anyone know if it's even legal to use a spear gun in the American River parkway? I know they passed the bill allowing the spearos to do thier thing but I'm wondering if it's even legal to posess a spear gun in the parkway. I'm thinking it's not but if anyone has any insight on this then feel free to chime in.

You all know damn well that if there's a choice for this guy to shoot a big fish vs. a little fish he will without thought shoot the biggest fish that comes into his sight. He probably has no idea how old that big fish is, how much mercury is stored in it's flesh, or how killing it takes millions of eggs out of the future spawning population.

Damn b*#@%#d probably won't even eat it. He'll just take a picture, brag it up, and throw it in a dumpster somewhere. If it is legal and permitted there ought to signs up about what killing these larger fish does to the population. What about posting signs in or around local dive shops that sell spearguns. Maybe get the shop owners to make an effort to protect these "unedible" big fish.

Damn AGAIN! The next thing you know they'll be spearing them in the Feather! Ya, I'm pissed,
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

I just went to the American River Parkway rules and regulations page and found this.

9.36.060 Firearms, Air Guns, and Other Weapons.
    No person other than peace officers in the discharge of their duties shall use, maintain, possess, fire, or
    discharge any firearm, air gun, spring gun, bow and arrow, slingshot, or any other weapon potentially
    dangerous to wildlife or human safety, except in areas, at times, and under conditions designated by the
    director for such use. A violation of the provisions of this section is a misdemeanor. (SCC 576 § 15, 1983.)

This more than enough states "SPEARGUNS" are NOT allowed in the parkway. Even if it is legal elsewhere it clearly states that these types of "sporting equipment" aren't allowed.

Now, who is going to enforce it? If they can't keep up with all the vandalism how are they ever going to stay on top of this too? If they (the park people) choose to ignore this they might as well allow *?+#^%& to shoot salmon with bow and arrows.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Mike O Guest

Or maybe, spearos like me will go out and follow the regs, while still maintaining the ethics we were raised with, and limit our kill, not kill our limit, and eat what we spear.

But then, I am a "Damn b*#@%#d" (which would really surprise my dad, if it's true...do you have evidence, pictures, etc?) and all, so who knows?

Mike
    Last edited by Mike O; 05-01-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Mike O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post
    I just went to the American River Parkway rules and regulations page and found this.

9.36.060 Firearms, Air Guns, and Other Weapons.
    No person other than peace officers in the discharge of their duties shall use, maintain, possess, fire, or
    discharge any firearm, air gun, spring gun, bow and arrow, slingshot, or any other weapon potentially
    dangerous to wildlife or human safety, except in areas, at times, and under conditions designated by the
    director for such use. A violation of the provisions of this section is a misdemeanor. (SCC 576 § 15, 1983.)

This more than enough states "SPEARGUNS" are NOT allowed in the parkway. Even if it is legal elsewhere it clearly states that these types of "sporting equipment" aren't allowed.

Now, who is going to enforce it? If they can't keep up with all the vandalism how are they ever going to stay on top of this too? If they (the park people) choose to ignore this they might as well allow *?+#^%& to shoot salmon with bow and arrows.
    Tony

Guess we have to leave pocketknives at home, then?

Not all spear fisherman are bad, and to generalize them all as one group is stupid and ignorant. Just like saying that all fly fisherman are snobs, which is not true but it is just the same. So please people, stop generalizing. I know plenty of fly fisherman that would keep a big old female if they caught it, so should we attack them as one group?
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

As long as the spears are barbless, I don't see it being an issue.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterrunRon View Post
    Hahaha!

_SHig

Quote Originally Posted by WinterrunRon View Post
    AHAHAHAHAH. Now thats funny right there

Mike O Guest

Mine is barbless..looks like this. If it's good for legal lingcod, oughta work for legal stripers.

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Stee.../dp/B0064Q9974
    Last edited by Mike O; 05-01-2013 at 01:08 PM.