Thread: NFF: Anyone else get annoyed when replying to a thread because...

Default NFF: Anyone else get annoyed when replying to a thread because...

the big, blue button, "+Reply to Thread", is much larger and more prominant than the tiny, uncolored "Post Quick Reply" button in the waaaaaay bottom right of the page.

I can't tell you how many times I"ve drafted a reply and then mistakenly hit the +Reply to Thread button instead of Post Quick Reply button only to see all my wrinting go poof!

Tried the undo button, back button... no good.

Any I missing something here?

PS. This isn't an issue when starting a thread because there's no confusion with the button placement.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Yes. VERY frustrating.

I can probably make the text larger or change the color of the "Post Quick Reply". Not sure if I can move it though. Would this help?

If I removed the "+ Reply to Thread" button on the bottom, it would be more difficult to reply to a thread since the only reply would be located on top them.
    Gregg Machel
    Webmaster & Fly Fishing Enthusiast

Hmmm, not sure, Greg.

After you hit the +Reply to Thread button, there's really no need for that button to appear because it serves no further function other than to wipe out all that you've written without the ability to recover your writing. But if they have to appear together on the same page, perhaps they should be side by side and similar in look and design, which might cause one to carefully select. Perhaps one should simply be labeled Reply, the other Submit Reply. Reply to Thread and Post Quick Reply do not seem to have a clear enough meaning separation. And I really don't know what Post Quick Reply means. In the words of Colonel Jessup, "Is there another kind"? Just need some consistency in layout and labeling here to void the confusion. Hitting the Post Quick Reply button this time.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Unfortunately this is a larger program that something I did myself. If I "hacked" up the code to not show the button, the next security update that came through would most likely put it back to "normal" again. The styling is one thing that I can make stick though. By styling, I mean the font size, colors, etc. The software that we use is called vBulletin. This was selected because of it's security, anti-spam, and wide use throughout many other sites that have forums. I'll look for some other tweaks I can do to help out, my initial 30 minutes or so of google research did not provide much so far.
    Gregg Machel

It's gone now. I just removed the "reply to thread" button at the bottom. This button still exists on top. Users can also use the option I previously discussed on the lower right side of each reply titled "Reply".

Let's see how this goes and if we get any other complaints.

Notes for myself if I needto go back, ignore this ... (
    template
    SHOWTHREAD
    "newreplylink_bottom")
    Gregg Machel

Hey Gregg,
    You always come thru! Do you make house calls? LOL.
    Best to you and yours,
    Larry S

Greg, I replied to another thread and noticed the button was missing, removing my confusion immediately. Came here to thank you for the tweeking, tell you I thinks it's a great improvement and hope others do to, and noticed your followup up post stating what you did. I would prefer my original post to be thought of as having suggested a solution to a problem as opposed to complaining, (positive problem solving approah as opposed to negative), but I thank you for looking into it and the change you implemented.

Gregg is a wonderful friend of Kiene's and we are very lucky to have access to his knowledge and friendly support.

Thank you Gregg!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member