Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Shad on the AR Today

Maury , they go to Christmas island I don't think they know much on there salt life. I too, would love to hear if anyone out there knows what they do? Congrats on the shad Jeff .... Looks like you found your crackpipe again

I read that the Shad that enter rivers that are further north actually have better survival rates than Shad that enter rivers down south like the St Johns in Florida.

Because Shad are boney and are not a commecial fish they have never spent much on studieing them.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Over the years I've caught shad at the Berkeley Pier while throwing a cast net for bait. None of them were very big, I'd say sub adults.

Here's a pic from 2 years ago showing them next to some Jack smelt caught on the same throw.

Thank you everyone for all the bits and pieces of information.Very illuminating.
    Mark, I beleive those were trevally, if only they ran the American river.Wahoo!
    Bill K, Do you think the west coast shad have the same problems with survival in the souther rivers as the east coast shad? Sacto drainage verses Columbia river.
    D Impala 95, Most interesting catch. Do you ever catch any shad and herring at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Hey Mr Alosa
    What does happen to the Shad when they leave the rivers and go home ? Has any one ever caught or seen one in the salt?
    Thanks
    Hatch
    I haven't caught anyout west inthe salt, but I did catch a couple outside the Chesapeake Bay while fishing for stripers. I was really surprised, especiallysince they bit on 4-5" long flies.

The shad suaga keeps getting more interesting.If Anybody has some trivia please come forward. The fact that you were in salt water is curious indeed. Thank you crashq.