Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 6126 Spey... Opinions Needed!

Default Looking for a 6126 Spey... Opinions Needed!

Hello Forum,

I'm looking for a 6wt Spey rod in the 12'6" range, and I'd like to hear some opinions on manufacturers, builders, models, their castability, feel and even some esoteric stuff.

My line up currently includes a Beulah 5/6 Classic Switch, Sage TCX 7126, and Sage One 8136 and I'm looking to fill the gap. I'm not interested in spending $1000 on a new rod again, especially when so many manufacturers like Beulah, Echo and TFO are producing such great rods for a lot less money.

I've been looking at the Beulah Platinum 6126, Echo DH2 6126, Echo TR 6126. Z-axis 6126? TCX 6119? It'll be primarily a summer/fall Scandi rod for the T,K, Rogue, etc, but also a light winter stick for chucking a Skagit head with T11 tips and fishing the softer inside edges when the water is up and off color.

I'd love to hear some opinions!
    thanks
    Jimmy James

James,
    You might want to look at the rods thread on the spey pages board. Always lots of
    good discussions going on there.
    Probably should add that the Kiene shop has been a sponsor on the spey pages site.
    Yea!
    Best,
    Larry S
    Last edited by Larry S; 04-20-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: add

Are you looking for a real spey or a switch? My friend has a 13'3" 8 wt TFO Professional that is similar to my 12"6" 6 wt TFO professional . It is one of the more affordable spey rods if you are looking for a real spey rod. I you are interested in one of them for slightly under $200 I think we can work something out. Sam4homes@aol.com write in the subject line spey

I like the TFO rods better since they feel crisper and lighter in hand than Beulah & Echo in my opinion. Not as light as the z axis or helios but also less than 1/3rd the price .

We are also members of the Davis FF so you can meet us at the meeting this month to check out the rods.

James, check out Anderson custom rods. Gary has lower priced rods in the Nova ($395) and Explorer ($495) series. He makes both of these in a 12'6" 6 wt. These are great scandi rods that will also do your skagit work as well. Gary also gives you a matching line with the rod you choose. My favorite 6 wt. he makes is the 1296, you may want to take a look at it but it is in the higher end price range. For a custom built rod you can't go wrong with the Nova at that price. Give Gary a call and talk to him about your applications for the rod your looking for, great guy to work with. Good luck on your search.....(In Search Of Steelhead)Mark

Anyone have any experience with the Beulah Platinum 6126? I'm interested too.
    Jeremy

Our staff at Kiene's helped design our own series of 'Grizzly Hackle' fly rods that just arrived.

Mostly 9' sinlge hand fly rods in 4 piece from #4 to #8 line with two tip sections for $159.99 with a tube and lifetime warranty.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

In that shippemnt we got the new 12' 6" #6 line Spey rod that is really nice in that entry level price point of $399.99 with a case and lifetime warrany. This rod has two tips: 'A' tip which is lighter and 'B' tip that is stronger.

This is one of the best casting entry level Spey rods out there.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Our 13' #7 line and 13'6" #8 line Spey rods are still in the design stage but coming soon.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by weightforwardfilms View Post
    Jeremy
    That rod is extremely popular.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

There are dozens of good Spey rods under $400 now.

You might come in on Sunday and have Spey casting expert Doug Duncan help you pick out a nice rod....we have the biggest selection in California.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

May I ask who manufactured the kiene rods for you guys? Are there pictures on the web?

Quote Originally Posted by weightforwardfilms View Post
    Jeremy
    That rod is my favorite 6wt. I used to use 2 different rods for skagit and scandi, but I found this rod does both for me very well. I load it with a 425-450 skagit for bigger stuff and a slower stroke, put on a 390 rage or 360 scandi and it is very crisp and lively.

Anyone interested in an Echo TR6126 PM me.