Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Umpqua finally gave it up for me

Default The Umpqua finally gave it up for me

Spent a couple of days up there about a week ago in the fly water, for the tail end of the winter run. I wasn't ready to put my big stick away and a large rain event that gave me that itch got me thinking, the last chance at a winter fish. Only the locals remained and the pick of the litter on runs were at your fingertips.
    After day 1, nada, pretty used to it at this point with this river. Day 2 was a new day and it was time to pull out all the stops like we always tell ourselves. Fished all through the quality morning hours and still nothing, fine I just push on like I always do. about high noon hits and whammy it finally happened. Nice fish, nothing giant but finally the skunk was killed.
    After the comedown I decided heck lets finish out the run and maybe do some lunch. Whammy, no more than 20 minutes after than the first, a second fish had taken on the hang, headed down, and felt as though it was not going to be stoppable any time soon.
    Second fish tamed, pretty much was ready to wrap it up for the day and taste some of kentucky's finest spirits.

Very nice post. All forks of the Umpqua fish well clear thru all of April.
    Gordon Langenbeck
    Grants Pass, OR

Dude, that is absolutely awesome. I could swing that run in the first pic for days! Fish #1 is one to remember because it's #1 but fish #2 is one to remember because she's a T-O-A-D!. Congrats and thanks for posting your trip.
    Last edited by WinterrunRon; 04-16-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Nice going & nice FISH!!!! Thanks for the post.....Epic!!!

Just when I was starting to get over my winter withdrawls you have to post something like that! Count me jealous for sure. Sounds like you more than paid your dues, must feel great to finally get that sweetly rewarded for those efforts. Way to go!
    JB

Those are both very nice fish.
    Jon

Often times persistance can be a fishermans best skill. Nice fish and beatiful shots. Great post.
    Randy

Unreal. Thanks for the post.

Awesomer. Soooo nice to see somebody put up some pics of real steelhead. The Fly Water is a special place.
    Eat it. Eat it. Simon says EAT IT!!!

That's sweet! There is something magical about that place that is hard to describe. Thanks for sharing.