Thread: A few bugs on the water today.

Default A few bugs on the water today.

I am trying to learn my aquatic insects. I observed these today on a small, fast flowing mountain stream in Southern CA. The only book on entomology I have is Hatch Guide For Western Streams. I believe this is a small brown stonefly.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Small Brown Stonefly.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	6831
    Sorry for the bad picture on this one. And, it's a little beat up cuz I had to whack it out of the air with my hat. These weren't very impressive looking like blue winged olives. They just kind of hovered a few feet above head. I don't see anything in my book that looks like this with those crazy eyes and nasty looking anal hooks. Any ideas?

Name:	Unknown Mayfly.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	6832
    This next one I didn't see flying. I found it on a rock. It is really small, about 1/2 the size of the monster above. And the picture has a yellow tint because I took it indoors. The 2 tails is throwing me because most of the mayflies in my book have 3.

Name:	Unknown Mayfly 2.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	6833
    I know this next one is a terrestrial, but I've never seen anything like this beetle before. These were SWARMING on a few small trees beside the water. They were absolutely devouring the leaves. They had a nice shiny metallic green body. Unfortunately, it doesn't show up well under my crappy indoor lighting. It is 1/4" in length. I've seen Japanese beetles do this on the east coast, but they were brown.

Name:	Metallic Beetle.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	6834

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm far from an expert but I can help with the last one. I'ts an Alder Leaf Beetle. It does most of it's damage while still a pupa(?), a small black maggot looking thing. The trees will recover no worse for the wear. I'm curious about the second pic as I've seen them dancing over streams myself have wondered what they were. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Pic #2 = Cranefly???? Just a guess. Probably waaaaay wrong with this one.

Cheers, Ken
    Last edited by k.hanley; 04-08-2013 at 10:58 AM.
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Great observations and pics, bugs are so much fun to check out and understand in regards to our fishing. First pic little brown stone from the Nemouridae family. Second picture I would have to say a Gray Drake spinner, hard to tell though. 3rd picture is a Western March Brown. If those beetles are on the water then they are fair game for the trout. Simple foam beetles are easy to tie, just make sure you have some sight foam in a bright color on top so you can see it.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.