Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yuba River Report 4-3-13

Quote Originally Posted by Sizemict View Post
    Fished the Yuba yesterday & the flows were about 1,000 cfs. I was able to cross the river upstream of the bridge near the foundation rock. Great fishing with a solid March Brown hatch fron 12:30 - 2:00 ish. Soft hackles were the ticket under a Skwalla dry, fish took both with the soft hackle dominating. Normally I wouldn't post but a member of the Flyfishing club was such a d##k to me acusing me of trespassing it was ridiculous. The river has not been crossable for a few years so I thought it was great to be able to access that side of the river. I thought these guys have calmed down a bit since I hadn't heard of anyone complaining about them lately. Out of spite I invite everyone to go and enjoy the wonderful dry fly fishing at the club with free access.

Enjoy
    Hi Sizemict,

what march brown soft hackle were you using? can you provide details?:

-hook, size

-thread

-abdomen material

-thorax material, if any

-type soft hackle feather.

if you can post a picture that would be great too.

Thanks,

Pete

Hook Size - I tie 2 sizes 14 & 16 with the 14 being my first choice it is basically a Pheasant Tail nymph with 1 wrap of something brown and soft on a heavy hook. I have had the feathers so long I do not remember what it is I think it may be Partridge? I do not think it matters as long as it is a light brown, not tan or dark brown (the soft part of a hackle will work too). It will darken when it gets wet. I will try to take a picture of the hackle and the fly later tonight. I have never tried to load a picture on this site and I am not sure how to do it. If you take a small net and a container you can catch some of the bugs in the drift and compare them to your fly just be sure to get your fly wet.

Good luck

Default Soft hackle photo

As requested

Good luck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNV30563.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	6820   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNV30568.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	6821   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNV30560.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	6819  

The second fly can be very effective as well. The date on my camera is mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sizemict View Post
    The second fly can be very effective as well. The date on my camera is mixed up.
    they look great. simple, yet "buggy".

did you fish them on the swing or dead drift ?

thanks for the details and the pics.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by peterkoistinen View Post
    they look great. simple, yet "buggy".

did you fish them on the swing or dead drift ?

thanks for the details and the pics.

Pete
    Most of the time it is dead drift under a dry. Sometimes I remove the dry and fish it quartering down steeam. I have also fished it on the swing as well as under an indicator depending on how I read the fish. Sometimes mixing it up from whatever everyone else is doing can make a difference. The takes are usually pretty solid. If the fish are porpoising keep it in the top 12".

Lets stop the personal attacks and switch to talking about the Yuba.

I have been waiting for the March Browns to start emerging. I am glad to hear that the fishing is starting to pick up. How many March browns are people seeing emerging or flying around right now?
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I like Randy's post...Strippin flys for Coyotes is as good as it gets...As far as a river being private in a sTATE THAT I PAY TAXES IN omg i ALMOST FREAKING WENT pOLIICAL ... mY BAD