Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Flourocarbon tippet worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Theres a very good article in the June California Fly Fisher by Ralph Cutter. After reading it, I'll never buy fluoro again.
    beeeecaaause...?
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

I read Ralphs article too. I found the former 3M guys statements an eye opener. Mono It is. Come to think of it Ralph, that might not be a bad article for your Trivia section on your site.
    Last edited by k9mark; 05-11-2013 at 06:50 PM.
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."

This week Orvis acquired Scientific Anglers and Ross Reel. Bruce Richards will be coming back on board to assist with R&D. He is a very close friend and the guy who provided the very candid comments regarding fluorocarbon in my article. I envision some exciting developments with Bruce and Jim Lepage working together at Orvis.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterrunRon View Post
    beeeecaaause...?
    2 main reasons. First. I don't want to buy anything that will be hanging off a creekside tree or off a submerged log 4000 years after I'm dead. the stuff doesn't degrade.

Second. Its no better than mono according to one of the guys who developed it. Bruce Richards from 3M/Scientific Anglers gets it for free and still fishes mono. "the whole visibility thing is bunk" he says.

3...3 main reasons! Mikey Wier doesn't use it. Nuff said.

And you really ought to subscribe to California Fly Fisher!!!!

Any place to view this article online?

Quote Originally Posted by the_gnarwhale View Post
    I checked CA Flyfisher online but its not there...Maybe you local fly shop might have an issue there. In any event, I would urge you to subscribe. It is one of the finest publications in my opinion.
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."

Sort of . . . http://www.calflyfisher.com/pages/subscribe.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    How about a summary for those of us no place near CA Ralph? I personally fish flouro quite often, and have seen the tests other companies besides SA do. I'd love to hear the counter points.

How about a summary for those of us no place near CA Ralph? I personally fish flouro quite often, and have seen the tests other companies besides SA do. I'd love to hear the counter points.
    Publishing a Cliff Notes version of an article that is in current or recent circulation is hardly the way an author stays in good graces with his publisher. You might want to drop the royal sum of $3.15 and you'll get a lot of other information to boot.

You can get my lovely fly tying in the "At the Vise section" as well. Probably not as helpful as Ralph's insight on tippet material, but better then a sharp stick in the eye....barely. But seriously, Richard puts together an awesome publication and its worth every penny, I'm sure he'll have no problem sending one to wherever you hang your hat.
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/