Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Davis / Frenchmans Lake Reports?

Default Davis / Frenchmans Lake Reports?

I know I saw some postings that people were planning on fishing Davis or Frenchmans Lake last weekend. Would love to hear some type of report. Water conditions, feeding fish, etc., I'm thinking of going up next weekend.

Rockman

Overall and this is typical after iceout - SLOW. Fishing will pick up once the fish go on the spawn, then it's a matter of finding them near the feeder creeks. For those who don't know, Snow creek at Honker cove is closed to fishing all year long. I start fishing Lake Davis when the fish are done with the spawn and are back to eating aquatic insects and setting up shop on the west and north shores of the lake were the weed beds are. If you do go, fish the east shore, and bring wiggle tails and chironomids.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

As alway's, thanks for your insight. I'll give a report if I'm lucky enough to get up next monday.

Rockman

OK, I'm going to give it up...I did fish Frenchman this past Sunday. Arrived reasonable early and fished from the Frenchman boat launch to the Spring Creek Campground and lit it up with two subtle grabs and no fish. I packed it up after about 2 hours and headed up to Turkey. Turkey has been pretty good early every year, and it was a lot better than my first pick...I picked up one insane 14 incher that was dead set on committing suicide...I brought him to hand, but that was it for the day. While driving out, I glassed the Crystal Point area and saw numerous rises, thinking they were just the birds enjoying diving, I looked close...FISH! I didn't have time to get back in the water, but I can assure you, I know where I'm going next time up. If Frenchman weren't a put and take fishery, you wouldn't be reading this. If you go up and have success as a result of this report, you owe me a bottle or two of Sam Adams.
    RFT out

I googled Turkey Lake, but nothing came up, is it near Frenchmans? I like trying new stillwaters and never heard of this one. Any insight on it would be helpful. PM me needed.

Rockman

Quote Originally Posted by Reno Flytyer View Post
    OK, I'm going to give it up...I did fish Frenchman this past Sunday. Arrived reasonable early and fished from the Frenchman boat launch to the Spring Creek Campground and lit it up with two subtle grabs and no fish. I packed it up after about 2 hours and headed up to Turkey. Turkey has been pretty good early every year, and it was a lot better than my first pick...I picked up one insane 14 incher that was dead set on committing suicide...I brought him to hand, but that was it for the day. While driving out, I glassed the Crystal Point area and saw numerous rises, thinking they were just the birds enjoying diving, I looked close...FISH! I didn't have time to get back in the water, but I can assure you, I know where I'm going next time up. If Frenchman weren't a put and take fishery, you wouldn't be reading this. If you go up and have success as a result of this report, you owe me a bottle or two of Sam Adams.
    RFT out
    Hey Mike,

What is the water temp these days? May have Rev. 2 done this weekend and it'll need a float test - though not if the "fail" results in a 34 degree penalty.

_SHig

Rockman- I think that is Turkey Pt at Frenchman, not Turkey Lake.

Thanks, I was sent that info via Jon B. I have always fished the area from the ramp to the flats to the right of the ramp and done well with some nice size fish. Now I'll try some of the other areas just to mix it up a bit. I usually only get to Frenchmans after failing at Davis which is not to often. In three weeks I'm driving out to Denver to pick-up a nice pop up camper. This will make is easier to fish these distant lakes and not have to drive home tired. I really believe both these lakes are going to be great this year!

Just got word from Jeanne at the J&J Grizzly store that the dock at Camp 5 is in place. I'll know much more on the access issues and the fishing after my guide trip there tomorrow. Stay tuned....
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Lookin' forward to your report Jon. I figure on heading up to Fairview on Saturday. I did get a report from a close friend who picked one nice fish there last weekend. I know it usually takes a little time following ice off for the fish to settle in and start whacking anything that moves. Good luck today!
    RFT