Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new-to-spey question

Default new-to-spey question

Hi,
    Santa brought me a spey set up. I was messing around casting it yesterday and have a few questions, one about setup and another about casting.
    Setup: I have an airflo tactical shooting head. I was supposed to add a tip to that, correct? I bought some mohs tips but the info on the line talks poly leaders, not tips...

Casting: How much line should I have out? I feel like I have the motions correct (sort of) but can tell the rod is not loading correctly. Thinking that is mostly a motion/timing thing, but I can't seem to find online the proper amount of line needed out.
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    Hi,
    Santa brought me a spey set up. I was messing around casting it yesterday and have a few questions, one about setup and another about casting.
    Setup: I have an airflo tactical shooting head. I was supposed to add a tip to that, correct? I bought some mohs tips but the info on the line talks poly leaders, not tips...

Casting: How much line should I have out? I feel like I have the motions correct (sort of) but can tell the rod is not loading correctly. Thinking that is mostly a motion/timing thing, but I can't seem to find online the proper amount of line needed out.
    thanks!
    This has to be the typical question for anyone new to spey. If you talk to enough different folks, you will become more confused in no time at all. There are as many opinions out there as there are folks participating in the sport. If you can find one individual that can navigate you through the learning process, you can progress along pretty fast. Airflo calls them poly leaders, while Rio refers to the tips as MOWs. What are you trying to do with the Spey rod- fish floaters or sink tips?? Still need more information from you.

It is fun to go through the learning process on your own, only because it is time consuming. Similar to re inventing the wheel. Best advice- get some individualized instruction while on moving water. It doesn't take that long, besides they can tell you what you need to do and if your line is matched up correctly for your rod. I feel that the extra set of eyeballs observing your casting stroke provides the right amount of feedback to get you on the right track.

There is a marked color difference in the flyline that indicates the demarcation between the head and running line. That color change is what you normally have outside the tip top of the rod. Anchor point location, line stick required for load of your rod, the speed of your sweep, development of the D loop and final forward stroke are all components that must be analyzed visually before anyone can really give feedback. If anything slower is always better.

Santa was very kind to you. Now you get to spend the denaro to get up to speed, unless you have a friend that is proficient in the ways of Spey and can provide you with some help in your progression.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by gitt; 03-26-2013 at 09:56 AM.

I would get out on the Lower American River with Spey casting instructor Doug Duncan or Jeff Putnam for at least one lesson.

First, they will check your outfit to be sure it is set up properly. This is the biggest thing we see is people with the wrong lines/tips on their two-handed rods. Spey catsting is hard enough with the right lines and tips.

Next, they will give you the basics of Spey casting. I think this is a must....just like golf.

There are very few fly shops in California who are really into the Spey word. In Oregon and Washington there are more.

It is worth coming to Kiene's Fly Shop with your Spey equipment to get it analyzed. We have a very large selection of Spey equipment and our entire staff fishes with two-handed fly rods.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks !
    Got the reel and line at Kiene's btw...

Exactly which spey set-up do you have and which Airflo Tactical line do you have? Polyleaders and MOW tips are not the same... poly leaders work best with Scandi heads and MOW tips work best with Skagit heads.
    So let us suggest meaning fully what is going to match best pending letting us know just exactly what you possess...

Hi,
    It is a Skagit rig. Kiene's staff recommended. So the running line/head junction should be around the rod tip when casting? I was holding the junction in my top hand...
    Thanks!

I also highly recommend taking at least one spey casting lesson before you develop bad habits that will take even more money or time to correct. Spey lines can be complicated.... come by the shop and we can explain and or diagram lines setups for you if you'd like.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    Hi,
    It is a Skagit rig. Kiene's staff recommended. So the running line/head junction should be around the rod tip when casting?
    Yes, with a shooting head + running line system, under most circumstances, you want just a bit of running line outside the tip of the rod. Different people may vary the amount of 'overhang' a bit, may lengthen it, may pull in a bit of the head inside the guides, depends on the person, line, rod, and fishing situation. One common exception would be if you are swinging really close to the bank and want a very short amount of line out. But six to twelve inches would be a good start for how much running line you want out.

Let me add another vote for signing up for a spey casting class, or, better, getting some 1:1 time with someone like Jeff Putnam. It will make a huge, huge difference in the learning curve. The Kiene folks are great and can help you set up your rig, there are many good books & videos out there, but there is really no substitute for in-person experience.

You already see part of the problem above -- a question that has a simple yes/no answer already gets three additional sentences to qualify the 'yes' answer. And I could have gone on longer.

So, thanks for all of the tips; today went way better casting-wise. The big change was that I needed more line out to keep the line anchored into the water . BTW I was screwing around casting at the Boca Reservoir inlet. There were many many trout rising to (presumably) march browns. Too bad all I brought was a spey rod and a 3 inch long wooly bugger attached to lead core . Also, did I get through some right of passage when I did not set the anchor well and sunk said wooly bugger through my waders and jeans and to the bend, in my thigh? Felt great....

You might find some good instructional 'You Tube' video clips online?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........