Thread: Lower Sac via Pontoon

Default Lower Sac via Pontoon

Thinking about trying L Sac on Friday. Anyone got any advice on best options via Pontoon?

I've done couple drifts using Fly Shop shuttle but found them both pretty long, though with the water was pretty low so may not be as big an issue this time?

Any advice on a shorter drift - 4-5 hours with stops or is that just not possible on the L Sac? Or any other advice for that matter! I find it tough to really fish while drifting on my one man 'toon so it's more a case of accessing some of the runs and anchoring out of the flows etc.

Thanks,
    Steve

Steve,
    There's a takeout at the Aqua Golf Driving Range which cuts the drift in half. It's very easy to spot.
    Cheers,
    Andy

Posse to Park Marina (aqua golf) is about 2 river miles and Park Marina to Bonny is about 3.5 river miles. A float straight through from Posse to Bonny just floating is about 2 hours. There are about 5-6 places between Posse and Park Marina where you could pull over and fish riffles/runs and 4-5 between Park Marina and Bonny. That would be blowing off all productive flat water. You could either pick out 7-8 spots, fish each for 30 minutes, and float down in 5-6 hours, or fish half as many and hammer each run. (there are most spots than this, I am just counting the larger ones that would give you time to work them).

Bonny to Anderson is 9 miles and not a good option given your time frame. Anderson to Balls Ferry is 7 miles but is way more effectively fished while drifting. There is lots of productive flat water on this run. I think you'd spend more time floating than fishing riffles and runs from Anderson to Balls Ferry. Your best bet is up top for what you want to do in 5-6 hours.

Forgot to add, you can put in at Park Marina. There is a chute immediately downstream of the ramp but I've been told at 4,000 CFS it might be risky to run (for a drift boat). I've only ran it a couple of times at 10,000 CFS (again, in a drift boat). If you put in at Park Marina, just go out and around in the main channel if you are unsure (look at google earth and you will see the location of the chute).

There is an island way downstream of Cypress bridge where the river splits. This is a dangerous place for a drift boat due to low flows and a very narrow chute that is the one passable spot, but you will be fine in a pontoon. The chute is near the top of the island, river right. If you go left, you may drag. If you miss the chute by going right too soon, you will just drag your toon over the rocks and be good to go.
    Last edited by dude02; 03-26-2013 at 10:22 AM.

I did a couple drifts on the Lower Sac with my pontoon (12 ft./2-person) last weekend, and I would recommend going from Posse Grounds (by the rodeo arena about a 1/4 mile upstream from the Sundial Bridge) to the Bonnyview boat ramp. If memory serves, that float is about 5 miles. I know that's a little long, but you might be able to fish from the toon on the Sac--most of the action right now seems to be in the slow, froggy deep sections below the faster water. I was rowing for my fiance, and I was hooking fish from the rower's seat while she would take short breaks to put on sunscreen, drink beer, etc. You can just cast quartered downstream, pump the oars twice to slow the boat, and just go with it--slowing the boat every 30 feet or so.

Alternatively, you could probably launch a one-man toon at the E. Cypress bridge and float to Bonnyview from there. Just know, I think you are better off with decent, long drifts in deeper water from the boat than with good, short drifts in shallow water from shore. I tried both along the way, and the latter was way more productive. The way that river is fishing, I would say do your best fishing from the pontoon (my fiance probably landed 10-12 fish over 18 inches over the course of two days, and it was her second time touching a fly rod). Oh, and it was my first time on the river. It's good right now.

Good luck!

Hi All, thanks for the great information.

Both my previous drifts were down to Anderson so the above are great ideas to make for a shorter day. It;s either Lower Sac or L Yuba for this trip, given I have Friday off think I'll make the drive up to Redding.

Thanks again, will let you know how I get on.

Cheers, Steve

I've done the posse to Bonneyview and Bonneyview to Anderson in my 8ft pontoon.typically the only time ill stop is to rig up if I brake off. I just drift and fish using my oars to keep me pointed in the direction I want. One guy I go with uses his oars to row out into the current from the launch or to back row. Other than that he uses his fins to control the boat. I know just drifting isn't the most effective way to fish the lower sac but its easy when your by yourself.

Did the Bonny to Anderson float today. Flows jumped big boats into fish. I struggled, landed a few small fish but never got dialed in. Big thanks to guide from fly shop who got chatting to and rowed over and gave me couple dark lords they were doing well on. So I didn't even have flows as an excuse! Oh well back l out tomorrow for another try.

Did same drift today. Very different results.

Landed 10 between 17-19. Think the difference was that I really focused on getting good drifts, plus switched to 100% fluro rather than mono butt section. Fished same flies and depth.

Wish was able to go back out on Sunday!

I don't own a pontoon, but the one piece of advice I'd like to offer from watching others is check the weather report for wind conditions before going. If a south wind is blowing, perhaps the Yuba would be a better option. They seem to behave more like a parachute than a boat in frog water. It will take you substantially longer to get down river no matter where you put in/take out and/or you'll be rowing & using your fins constantly. Not fun from what I've witnessed. Good luck wherever you choose to go.
    Last edited by WinterrunRon; 04-01-2013 at 10:07 PM.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Ron 100% agree on checking the wind.

It can be tough or near impossible to drift in strong upstream wind on LS and the LY for that matter.

Had that lesson on LS few years ago, ended up pulling out in total darkness without a light. Not good.