Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wood Duck Feather

Mike O Guest

d/k...funny how the code reads, too. can't buy anything which can be found in the state. I can buy a White-Tail deer head, but not a mule deer or its subspecies like the blacktail

Wood duck or mallard or pheasant? Maybe if it is "domestically raised" as in a Feather farm, as in code §504???

Guess I could buy grizzly bear fur or snowshoe hare, since one is extinct in CA, and the other does not exist here?

Take the whole skin, I skin out all my good ducks completely.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

I've heard borax on the skin to cure?? any experience with that?

Mike O Guest

Borax works with ducks, but make sure you scrape ALL of the fat off....it takes longer to dry them also. So much fat in a duck skin. I usually just pull the feathers I want and put them in a ziplock and freeze them to kill bugs. Yours were aleady frozen, so you are OK. I only used the flanks, though. And I don't care about keeping the barred flank matched. If you are keeping matched sets of the barred flank, pulle them in sets, wrap the stems in tape together, and put them in a bag.

Very interesting discussion. There are some kooky laws out there. Some have been in place for generations and are filed so deeply and are so obscure, they are virtually unknown. Check this out! I especially love this one.. ".Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship."

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/california

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Weird. Mating of any sort within sight of the taverns I frequent is usually considered good entertainment that typically results in some sort of freakish wager.

Quote Originally Posted by DLJeff View Post
    Mating of any sort within sight of the taverns I frequent is usually considered good entertainment that typically results in some sort of freakish wager.
    I don't care who you are that right there is funny!

We've obviously visited similar establishments, because i was thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post
    Very interesting discussion. There are some kooky laws out there. Some have been in place for generations and are filed so deeply and are so obscure, they are virtually unknown. Check this out! I especially love this one.. ".Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship."

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/california
    Against my better judgment I had to go to that link (kinda like staring at a traffic accident, morbid curiosity). The city of Carmel had 3 choice ones:

"A man can’t go outside while wearing a jacket and pants that do not match."

"Ice cream may not be eaten while standing on the sidewalk. (Repealed when Clint Eastwood was mayor)"

"Women may not wear high heels while in the city limits."

I can just see it now: "Sir, I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to remove that jacket and those pants immediately. I'm going to let you off with just a warning this time sir, but you probably want to have your wife double check your clothing choice next time before you go outside."

JB

Yeah, I perused the Wisconsin laws and was not surprised to see how many included the word "butter" and/or "cheese"

Mike O Guest

According to CA law, if the stuff from out of state lives in CA, it still must be domestically raised. Wild stuff from outa state, which is taken from the wild in that other state cannot be sold or traded in CA.

Example...one cannot possess buy a bear claw necklace and bring it into the state, because CA disallows the sale of bear parts.