Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: custom one-of-a-kind wooden fly boxes.

Thats a great idea Ed. When is it? Did you get your box yet?

There are some big things brewing for this crazy project. I am both intimidated and humbled by where my boxes are going to appear... stay tuned!

Yes I did. It's beautiful. Now I'm contemplating what to fill it with. I'm leaning towards tying some old school (really old) wet flies. The expo is normally the second weekend in April, maybe Adam or Bill can confirm? It'd be a great excuse to show up and BS with all the faceless names.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Update bump

I have been making a lot of these things! today is my last day of production for a while. If you ordered a box and dont have it yet, you will soon I'll ship the last of the orders out by friday.

Here is my latest batch and these are all going out to my new friend Gary Siemer at http://www.vintageflytackle.com/ These will all be available on his website at my SRP.

What do you think of this design? Its Black walnut and hard maple.

I will be unable to make anymore boxes for 3-4 weeks. After that, I plan on having some new cool woods and will build my inventory. If you want a box, feel free to contact me anytime. I wont be making them for a few weeks but I can answer questions and take orders.

Thanks everyone!

Jay

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

More beautiful craftsmanship, Jay. I like the two toned box. In fact, you could probably build on that design with a couple thin trim bands and be able to make use of some smaller, left over pieces of wood.

You read my mind Doug I'll be collecting some nice wood for these boxes and I wont let a scrap go to waste. Laminating some cool combos of exotics could be divine!

Kind of like this?

Wow! Really nice! Thats right in line with what I'm planniing. Did you make those nets too?

We are definitely thinking the same. I have a large pile of strips and thin ripped boards left over from squaring rough-cut lumber or left over dimensional cuts from other projects over the years. And I hate to throw anything away. Those are a few nets that need to be routed, and finished.

That maple and walnut box is awesome! Do you put Cork in all of your boxes?

Yes. The cork is easily available as cork tiles and I rout the ridges. I just love the thought of cork. It goes with the wood theme. I have been looking thru sme catalogs of figured, exotic cork tiles. That would be REALLY cool.

I have been in contact with Mill Stream about rippled foam but have yet to get any. Where do you get your slitted foam?

Very nice gentlemen, thanks for posting....