Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: custom one-of-a-kind wooden fly boxes.

Default custom one-of-a-kind wooden fly boxes.

Hey folks. Ive got these boxes to where I'm ready to offer them to you.

These are custom oneofakind 100% wood boxes. I am hand making them in my woodshop. No two are alike. However I can replicate any of the ones you see here with the exact same wood.

Here are the sizes and prices...

3x5"- $60
    4X6"- $75
    5X7"- $90

If you would like a custom size, I am happy to accomidate.

I will be happy to answer any questions about the boxes on this thread. If you would like to purchase, please do so via email.
    jayspencer69@gmail.com

These boxes are 3X5"

Edit...SOLD

This one is Hawaiian mango wood. It is a limited edition and there will not be another one.

this one is myrtle wood and it is a limited edition. I can make one or two more and this wood is gone.
    Edit...SOLD

This is solid, bored out, black walnut. I can make lots more of these. 3X5"- $50

PS. I am currently finishing a solid 3X5 cherry wood box of similar style to this one^. I will also make more of these if requested.

These are the 4X6"
    Edit...SOLD

Edit...SOLD

these are the 5X7"

All the boxes are outfitted with custom rippled cork inserts.

I can make any box of any size in any combination of what I've posted here.

Stay tuned for more new and interesting custom wood boxes!
    Last edited by jbird; 03-13-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Bump ...

I made it into "The city" this weekend and scored some serious exotic wood lumber. This will all be made into solid wood fly boxes. I dont know what knida pricing yet. Theyre gonna be insane! Youre looking $140 worth of raw lumber right here. Ouch!

Heres some boxes I started a few days ago out of solid cherry wood.

Last edited by jbird; 03-16-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Is that some cocobolo and bubinga Jay? Wonder how purple heart would work. Likely to brittle.

Hey Bill. From left to right, this is Granadillo, Which is African. Marble wood, (Middle eastern, I believe its the same as acacia). and African Padauk. These are very dense hardwoods and I'll be interested to see how my blades and bits hold up. They had some purple heart but that color is just too intense for me. It literally looks like pickled beats. It would definitly hold up as it is extremely dense and stable. I almost got an amazing piece of rosewood. Just couldnt bring myself to cough up $89 for 4' 1x4. I also picked up another figured wood veneer grab bag. It has some insane figured grains!

OK heres some new stuff...

3X5" Cherry. Unfortunately, this one has a router "check" on the inside that I put some filler on. Its just cosmetic and its invisible from the outside. But I have to discount it...

$45

This is a cherry wood 4X6. I would be just fine if this one doesnt sell! Its VERY nice!

$75

Heres a 4X6 with a cool inlay I did this by hand. Walnut burl with maple burl inlay

$80
    Last edited by jbird; 03-18-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

More beautiful work Jay. Nice inlay job too. That must take some time with the Exacto, huh?

Funny someone mentioned purple heart. I have a very old purple heart log that my Dad got when we lived in Panama. It's about 3 ft long by rough cut 6 X 8. A buddy cut some sections off one end and sliced it into blanks for reel seats. He said it nearly ruined the band saw blade. It turns almost like metal. One other thing about purple heart is it will weather and age turning a dull gray. So you have to really seal it will well finish or you'll lose that brilliant purple color. If anyone wants some pieces (roughly 1.5 X 1.5 X 6 inches let me know).

Jbird, I have a piece of Koa I bought in Hawaii. If you want it let me know and I will go out and measure it to see if it meets your needs. It has been sitting here for a few years. Maybe we can trade for a discounted box. PM me if interested.

Hey guys. Please use my email to contact me about the flyboxes. My Kienes PM inbox is overflowing. If you sent me a PM in the last 12 hours, I may not have gotten it. I purged it, but I'd rather correspond via email.

jayspencer69@gmail.com

Thanks guys for your interest!!!
    Last edited by jbird; 03-18-2013 at 04:58 AM.

ok folks. Heres the product of my new wood. This is the Marblewood (acacia) This is as good as it gets! This box will stop traffic if you whip it out on a street corner This is a 4X6". I have decided to keep the first box of each of these woods. kind of a "first fruits" thing. I can make a couple more of these before this wood is gone.

So, before I slap a price on this little gem, who wants to make me an offer? Highest bidder. If I dont get an agreeable price in the next few days. I'll price it. I have this add on other forums. This offer is just for Kienes until I put a price on it, then I'll post it everywhere.

Check out the bookmatch!

I also made a box with the Granadillo. It's out of this world! I found the spar varnish wouldnt dry on it. It just stayed tacky. I dont know if its the density of the wood or oils within the grain. This wood is all kiln dried. I need to sand it back down to raw and I will just do a rub-on tung oil. The aroma of the Granadillo when I cut it was undescribable. It was so strong like a sweet, teak insence.
    I'll have a picture up of it in the next day or two. Havent even touched the Padauk yet