Thread: Rare Brown Trout caught on Lower Sacramento River

Default Rare Brown Trout caught on Lower Sacramento River

Ray is a delightful guy and seasoned fly fisher who typically visits us for a trip or two each season and this spring decided to sample the Lower Sacramento River in pursuit of trophy Rainbows, with local guide Craig Nielsen. You can imagine their surprise when on the second cast of the day Ray hooked and landed a rare trophy Brown Trout to enter Shasta Trout's Hawg of Fame. Finding a Brown Trout on the Lower Sac is a bit like a Big Foot or Loch Ness Monster sighting, you hear of people seeing them but perhaps never quite believe it until you see them with your own eyes. The big Brown came on a black rubberlegs pattern dead drifted under an indicator from a drift boat.

Ray and Craig enjoyed spectacular weather and great fishing to go with some fair catching once the bugs got going in the afternoon. With continued great weather in the forecast and consistently improving hatches the bite on the Lower Sac this weekend picked up even more, consider this your invitation to get here now!

Springtime is when we experience some of our most epic days on the Lower Sac, drop us a line if you are headed our way, we are always pleased to share the latest on conditions whether you are seeking guide service or not.
    Last edited by Craig Nielsen; 03-11-2013 at 11:00 AM.
    Craig Nielsen

About 5 years ago I caught a brown trout, it was about 15" inches. Caught it a couple hundred yards above the 1st bridge that you come to when drifting from the Posse Grounds. I called a local shop and they confirmed they are in there (obviously) but are far and few between. Looks like a nice fish-

jason

Back when I was a young punk kid fishing Nimbus Basin (20+ years ago) my friend swears up and down that I caught a brown off of the end of the "wall" though I only vaguely remember this.

I do, however, clearly remember baiting a chinook to hit a pikeminnow fillet to my amazement.

_SHig

Very nice catch! Looks like a beautful stretch of water.

You don't hear of many Brown trout in our valley rivers.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........