Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SW Oregon Steelhead

Quote Originally Posted by Loren E View Post
    ...hatcheries are a huge issue with the health of wild steelhead populations on the west coast. I think that bringing it up, when done respectively, is appropriate because with this issue the idea is to educate, not to attack someone for their differing point of view like fishing indicators instead of swinging. If educating another angler like DlJeff can be accomplished as was done in this thread...and we can maintain a positive tone and sense of community which was easily accomplished here IMHO, then I am glad I brought it up and it instigated some learning. This is an issue of education, and maybe after reading Alosa's post and following up with the links, more steelhead anglers on the west coast will kill hatchery fish and advocate for the removal of hatcheries on systems with struggling wild stocks that can be recovered. Please guys, don't dumb our community down to not being capable of engaging in a critical topic to the health of our wild steelhead; an issue on which many are not as educated or informed as they desire to be.
    HERE HERE!!! Well said!

Loren,
    Can't say I differ with you on any of your points, which you put forth quite well I think. I certainly didn't mean to infer that we shouldn't be discussing or debating the impacts of hatchery steelhead. The only reason I made mention that maybe this was sliding a bit off topic was that there had been an ongoing debate about this that had gone beyond sideways quite recently, and I had visions of Gordons nice post ending up being another rehash of all the same issues (and who knows what else). Thankfully this didn't go further and further down that path, in fact it would be refreshing if further debates could remain as open and civil as this one stayed.
    cheers,
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Loren,
    Can't say I differ with you on any of your points, which you put forth quite well I think. I certainly didn't mean to infer that we shouldn't be discussing or debating the impacts of hatchery steelhead. The only reason I made mention that maybe this was sliding a bit off topic was that there had been an ongoing debate about this that had gone beyond sideways quite recently, and I had visions of Gordons nice post ending up being another rehash of all the same issues (and who knows what else). Thankfully this didn't go further and further down that path, in fact it would be refreshing if further debates could remain as open and civil as this one stayed.
    cheers,
    JB
    thanks for providing the context for me Jason, I hadn't seen that post.

The APPLEGATE put out some fish this march despite its low water, a lot of natives this year compared to last year. I see your fishing below the murphy diversion dam, To bad they put that fence up at the josephine county public works yard probably wont be able to make it in their any more. Maybe I will see out on the apple next season, I already saw your neighbor a couple of times. By the way Im a native northern california who goes to school in southern oregon.