Thread: San Luis Reservoir/O'Neill Forebay advice

Default San Luis Reservoir/O'Neill Forebay advice

Hi all,

I'm planning on going to the San Luis Reservoir next week and wanted advice about some places to fly fish from shore. It's a big place, and this is my first time ever trying to catch striped bass (I usually target trout/salmon).

I've got the RIO 26ft sinktip line rigged up on my reel, but I also can rig up for a type 3 or type 6 shooting head on 30lb amnesia if needed. I'm not looking for secret spots or anything, just locations where I am likely to hook up and shake off the skunk that's plagued me all winter. If you'd feel more comfortable sharing your advice with me via PM so it doesn't get cast all over the internet, that's completely understandable.

Thanks in advance for any help.

OK, are you planning on fishing from shore or doing some wading. It could be tough fishing from the shore line but it's possible. I would probably start fishing around the flats (by the tower lines). Little more casting room and if the weeds are starting to show, possible LMB. Another area could be on the San Luis Creek side of the forebay, more open space. I would try fishing around the launch ramp area. There is a cove that could hold some fish. From there you can go either direction.
    If I'm throwing a sinking line, I usually use LC 13 for deep down or a type 4 or 6 shooting head backed with 30lb clear amnesia
    If you plan on wading the flats, be CAREFUL and step slowly. I wouldn't try wading the other side

Good luck

Jay

I wouldn't wade any of the big lake, too dangerous
    Last edited by Baja Fly Fisher; 03-04-2013 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Add on

Thanks for the quick reply. I have waders, so I can get in the water as needed (I actually prefer to be in the water so I don't rub my line against gravel/rocks).

The area you are speaking of (flats near power lines near and boat launch) - that's the O'Neill forebay section, right (near the day use area)? Whereas San Luis Creek is on the southwest side of the San Luis Reservoir itself? Just want to make sure I've interpreted your post correct

Did a little more research and figured out what you meant. Thanks again.