Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Home made fly box revisited

Default Home made fly box revisited

as some of you know Ive been putzing around in my woodshop with some cool pieces of wood.

Fly boxes are my focus and experimentation is my MO. Not always an ideal scenario when one has a limited supply of desirable wood!

The first fly box was very rudimentary. a block of wood hogged out on a router table creating a "clamshell effect"

Here is the box I posted last week. If you didnt see it, its solid Myrtle wood.

I started producing this style of fly box with varying success. This is a larger "clouser box". i blew part of it out on the router and reinforced one side with some hard maple. It actually gave it a a nice effect! Also, check out the nice spalting in the grain!

This time I was more careful and patient and produced a VERY nice box that Im quite happy with. This one is clean enough to market if I chose. Its the inside of the box that makes the first two marginal, however absolutely usable.

Getting a little more creative. this one is walnut with a maple burl feature. I wanted to inlay the burl but theres just not enough wood left to carve out. Also this one hs maple corner splines.

This is where things start getting exciting! If youre not into wood, sorry and good night

I fondled this other piece of myrtle burl trying to visualize what to do with it. I couldnt do the same thing because this piece was 1 1/4" thick (doubled that would be a 2 1/2" thick fly box). So I filleted it to 3/16". I used it as a veneer show piece and framed it with another nice hardwood. In this case, black walnut. hmmmmm. I think I like this!

Running out of my original plank of Myrtle wood, I did the same thing with it. Framing it this time with hard maple. This box is extremely tight, clean and beautiful. I think this may be my "devine design" going forward.

Its hard to see in the picture, but this one will not have a magnetic closure. but rather what I call a "snug lip". Its a tongue and groove effect that makes it firmly slip closed and stay closed.

Heres the inside.

Heres the family all together.

This design can incorperate exotic veneer. Which is highly available online with amazing figured grains.

Anyone still awake???
    Last edited by jbird; 02-26-2013 at 04:28 PM.

These belong in a museum; or my closet (LOL.) Real eye candy! Your book -PBJ- arrived yesterday. I have to finish
    James Lee Burke's "Creole Belle" first, then I'll tackle your tome. Then I want to pass it along to one of my 5-yr old
    neighbors for a critical read.
    FWIW, we're expecting 80-degrees by Friday.
    Best,
    Larry S

Thanks Larry!
    Dont forget to keep your thesaurus handy! lol

Oh and by the way...
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
    FWIW, we're expecting 80-degrees by Friday.
    I hate you!

Very, Very Nice!!!

As somewhat of a wood butcher myself, I can appreciate what you have put into those gorgeous boxes

Nice! You're getting quite a production going. Hey Jbird, did you ever consider cylinder hinges? Would require a little beefing up on the hinge side though. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=9838

"i blew part of it out on the router and reinforced one side with some hard maple. It actually gave it a a nice effect!"

I love this. Making your mistakes into something that looks good and looks like it was done on purpose.

They all look great, thanks for sharing these. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    Nice! You're getting quite a production going. Hey Jbird, did you ever consider cylinder hinges? Would require a little beefing up on the hinge side though. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=9838
    Bill. I actually was looking at that exact hinge on that same site. That may be in my future. I am a bit concerned with weight tho. I imagine they're considerably heavier not to mention I'll need to leave more wall on the box. They would look cool tho!

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Fantastic!! As a maker of sawdust meself, I fully appreciate the skills you're displaying. I need to get me a little piece of that myrtle. And I agree with you, I like the myrtle with the maple frame.

Beautiful work again Jay! I am going to have to show these to my brother inlaw, he is a master craftsman as well. He has been turning a lot of exotic woods on his lathe, but these will give him ideas for Christmas gifts. He loves making his gifts! Jay your flies should be in your mailbox on friday.

Awesome Mark! Thank you and I promise to fish them well! Speaking of tying, I started a local fly club and last night was our 1st meeting. Some of the guys/gals have never tied so we did a wooly bugger workshop. I took for granted that its easy to keep tension on the thread without breaking it... and other simple things that us tyers havent thought about for ions. At one point I felt like I was trying to describe how to breathe. LOL I know how to do it but I dont know how to describe it. Then came the whip finish! Oh boy! It was actually a blast and Im looking forward to the next meeting.

Doug you are going to be like a kid in a candy store on the oregon coast. i bet youll find some sources that will make me green with envy In fact, I may want to purchase some small stuff from you if you get a good connection