Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pilot Peak strain confirmed as original Pyramid L. Cutt

Ned
    Yes I am a guide but do not guide Pyramid so this isn't an economic issue for me. I am a Pyramid fisherman and am excited about the future. I agree with one assessment that to be truly successful these fish will need to reestablish a natural spawn in the Truckee River. For that to happen Derby Dam will need to come down and we all know this isnt going to happen. Instead, we have an opportunity to catch the exact genetic match of the original Pyramid LCT which is miraculous in and of itself. Come up and enjoy the fishing. And if you want to catch the last remaining naturally reoccuring lacustrine population come spend a day on Independence Lake with me. We'll get you a fish bigger than 13".

Regards
    Jay
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"

Thank you both Jay and Chris for invites. I can honestly say I have in all likelihood never caught a genetically pure Lacustrine LCT in my 35 years fishing the Sierras. Not for lack of effort, they are simply quite rare. I did try Independence Lake back in 1999 and struck out although was not sure I was fishing legally at the time due to the limited/private access. Things have obviously changed now and the LCT population there appears to be stable. Beautiful fish from what I have seen in pictures. Although agriculture is strong in NV never give up hope that Derby Dam could be destroyed. If there is talk about removal of dams on the Klamath which has similar agricultural issues surrounding them as Derby, there will always be a chance. The LCT fishery of the Truckee is too long out of memory to gain the same status/recognition Salmon and Steelhead get however but it's all about the ROI.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare