Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lower Yuba via Pontoon?

Default Lower Yuba via Pontoon?

Hey, great forum - very informative.

I've fished Yuba 4 times via pontoon over the last 6 months, the Highway 20 bridge section down to the country park take out.

Question, from a purely fishing efficiency perspective do you think it's better to float on a pontoon or wade - does that depend on the flows and resulting access and/or hatches etc?

Thanks,
    Steve

I've waded the river only and I can tell you that I'm limited to certain runs. I would have to thing floating the river is the most efficient way to fish that river. You can beach the pontoon at anytime. It's very tough to get to spots after the island. How do you pick up your vehicle after pulling off the river? I'm about to purchase a pontoon since I'm sick of wading the Yuba.

I have only waded the Yuba but just purchased a Pontoon, specifically for a local reservoir, but have been interested in taking it to the Yuba as well. Its seemed pretty accessable wading but i sure think it would be nice to launch upstream and hit them all on the way down. Shuttle opportunity?

Jim

So in my limited experience it's a pretty easy float in a pontoon, not a lot of rowing - pretty easy day or half day. Only caveat is if there's an upstream wind, I got caught on lower sac one day - got off the water at Anderson in pitch dark.

As for the shuttle guy called Christopher Stearman who lives near HWY 20 bridge will drive your car to pull out car park for $25. Good guy, very reliable - wpuld definitely recommend. There's a thread here where you can find his details.

Would recommend decent pontoon that is river rated, I have Scadden Outlaw plus would wear PFD. On Sun one my oars flipped out of holder on way down one of the bigger runs and I was a bit panicked. Good anchor important too, I lost mine on sunday on a rock -was quite an eventful float now that I think about it.

Good luck.

SHUTTLE SERVICE--Hey. Yes, I do shuttles and live on the Yuba river at the corner of Parks bar road and Hwy. 20. My number is 530-639-2521....We also have a detached room that we have rented as a guest cabin for 80 a night; (includes breakfast tacos and coffee!!)
    for fishermen who will be guided the next day,etc. You can also fish until dark the evening before by walking through our grape vines to the river(200 yards)AND fish downstream of the private property by the bridge....
    Thank you for your interest, Regards--Christopher Streetman 7118 Hwy.20 @ Parks Bar Road

Default Shuttle service......

....for info please look at above post,AND copy number for future reference and tape into your fly box etc...Thank you ...Christopher 530-639-2521

I have seen two trashed pontoon boats on the Y. One was pinned against a hwy 20 bridge abutment and the other in the rocks at the quick corner at the 1st (Long) island. Hope these guys had PFDs. Put a leash on your oars in case one hops the locks and have some way to lose the anchor in an instant. This means no knots down line of a cleat and having a sharp knife ready to cut the line if need be. Anchoring in moving water is a great way to submerge the nose of your boat and send you for a swim. Be smart and the Y is an easy float.
    Last edited by Ralph; 02-17-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Ralph, good advice - I need to get oar leash. Definitely been avoiding anchoring in fast water.

Anywhere else you'd recommend for pontoon float? I find Lower Sac a little too big.

The Delta can be a lot of fun if you watch the wind and tides. Truckee and EF Carson of course. I would imagine the American, though I've never done it. The Sacramento turning basin can be awesome.

So I'll also be purchasing a drift boat in the near future. Is it possible to Duffy the truckee with a fiberglass drift boat or a raft you're is the way to go? Also, would anyone know if back paddling an inflatable raft type to stay in a run is possible?