Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Natural or Hatchery Bred....

Well this thread finally went sideways I see; betting you got even a bit more than you bargained for there Darian. Hell we even got into gay marriage, artificial insemination, and womens sports (that was an impressive trio in just one post!).... not quite sure how we got there talking about steelhead, but oh what a ride eh? Kind of like a wild steelhead, fresh out of the salt; hell bent on returning in one piece!

In all seriousness, I think that most of us could agree that if hatchery steelhead were all we had we would still fish for them and still enjoy ourselves. I would also hope that most, if not all of us could agree that we should NOT be willing to accept hatchery steelhead only as a reasonable substitute for wild runs; not while there is still a chance at having viable wild steelhead returns. Am I that naive here, or can we not all agree to that much?

What I see as one of the major factors here is that some folks are so hesitant to take any chance on loosing the opportunity to fish for ANY steelhead that they are worried about the loss of support and funding for hatchery programs, while others are so concerned that any concession at all towards hatchery fish means further eroding the dwindling populations of wild steelhead and minimizing/masking the very real threat and concern for the loss of our wild steelhead completely. I'm no biologist, geneticist, or even expert steelhead dude; but even I can see that maintaining healthy wild populations should remain priority number 1, regardless of hatchery successes or failures.

Perhaps the better questions here would be what each of us would be willing to concede, and what we would be willing to loose...
    I know I would be willing to give a lot, and loose a lot of fishing privileges before I would be willing to see the extinction of all of our wild steelhead. That's my personal take on it anyways.
    JB

Default I gave up on this thread some time ago....

as it was originally about introducing some recent/new study information for consideration. The source of the study was immediately denounced as non-credible. In spite of that it actually started out very well with some participants providing links to info that made it informative. Unfortunately, I knew that the longer it kept going the more off track it would become but had no idea it'd be as bad as it became (including exchanges of hostile PM's).

"Am I that naive here, or can we not all agree to that much?"

After going through a number of these over the years that I've been on this BB, I think I can safely say that there's not a lot of anything in the Salmon/Steelhead Forum that is open for objective discussion or subject to agreement by all. Maybe it's a good thing that we can't all agree but I regret that objective consideration/discussion can't take place. There's just way too much us vs them emotion involved. Seems like these things all become train wrecks. Under normal circumstances and since I don't fish for Steelhead any longer, I would've stayed away from posting in this forum. Guess I lost my head for a minute....

Considering some of the things you mention were posted in this thread and not deleted, I'm guessing that there's no longer a moderator for the BB. Kinda looks like open season.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    ...Maybe it's a good thing that we can't all agree but I regret that objective consideration/discussion can't take place. There's just way too much us vs them emotion involved. Seems like these things all become train wrecks...
    Maybe in part it's the seasonality, and the hight level of challenge that these fish represent that generates such emotions, I know that's certainly the case for me. Also I think that there are a lot of folks really concerned (emotional) over the level of threat that hangs over these most special fishes...

At any rate, I think that if we as anglers, let alone fly line anglers can't find some things to agree on then yes it's totally hopeless to expect anybody else to do anything meaningful and productive for them...
    JB

dont think steelheaders are an anomoly. I have a couple other hobbies/crafts which I belong to forums. Internet arguing is becoming quite a popular sport no matter the subject. i bet people visciously argue about pasta on food forums. Its just the nature of open, roundtable discussions on the web. makes you appreciate the brilliance of the facebook format.

Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post
    dont think steelheaders are an anomoly. I have a couple other hobbies/crafts which I belong to forums. Internet arguing is becoming quite a popular sport no matter the subject. i bet people visciously argue about pasta on food forums. ...
    *GASP!* argue about pasta! How can there be such argument, fresh homemade pasta for sure!!!

(and nobody has any right to say squat about being off topic considering all that's come before in this thread, ha!)

With 100% semolina and no less! We wouldn't want any weak pasta!

Default HUH....??!!!

WOW!!! Now this thread has really become surreal....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    WOW!!! Now this thread has really become surreal....
    Its not that bad Darian....................

hahahaha............
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

this thread is turning into a tuesday afternoon session in the cuckoos nest. "Nurse Ratched, can I please have my cigarettes?)" "Mr. Chazwick! You sit down!"