Thread: Lower Sac wading?

Default Lower Sac wading?

Hello! I'm sorry to say that i have never fished the Lower Sac before... I'm hoping to get out sometime this spring to give it a go. I'm really interested in expanding my spey fishing from steelhead over to the trout realm, and would like to try swinging for some lower sac 'bows. I have absolutely no idea what levels would be good/safe for wading on this large river... Can anyone help out a lower sac noob here?

Anyone else using spey/swing applications on the lower sac?

Thanks!

Kobestopper,

The Lower Sac has many places to walkin at. I wrote and article for CA Flyfisher last year on it. If you would like a copy of the article send me an email.

Best times to wade is when the river is at 3000-5000cfs.
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

I am also a fan of wading the Lower Sac. The south end of Andersen River Park and the Girvan Road access are two of my favorite spots, though I prefer to not do Girvan alone. It can seem very remote though not far from the road. I think swinging the shallower riffles with your spey gear would be a blast.

TommyLee

best to wade under 5K and with studs, a staff, and a friend. even at "low" flows, it's BIG water. love to swing the two hander on the sac. hit the shallow riffles with a small bugger or soft hackle on a floater. or throw on a skagit short and a mow tip and work the drop offs at varying depths and speeds. let 'er swing all the way through. also fun to grab a 5 or 6 weight switch rod and swing the runs first, then go through and "clean up" with a nymph. of course you'll cover a lot more water if you can swing a "ride" in a drift or jet boat and hop from spot to spot... have fun and be careful (i took a slip once at about 5500 and was VERY lucky my buddy was standing close by with an outstretched wading staff)

I think spring is one of the best times to wade the L Sac. Flows are at their lowest while Shasta fills-up with run off, usually until May-June when the farmers need water. Caddis are active in the afternoon and you might run into a "blizzard" caddis hatch. Below Sundial Bridge, Anderson River Park, Deschutes Road and below Battle Creek are all good places to check out.

Be very careful wading any of the big valley rivers.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I have sent out an article I wrote for CA Flyfisher on wading the Lower Sac. Find a copy of it or email me and I will be glad to send you a copy.

Thanks
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com