Thread: Smaller steelhead streams next week?

Default Smaller steelhead streams next week?

So my wife and I are looking to get out to try a little steelhead fishing this next week, and were looking at possibly checking out the SF Eel or Smith rivers, but I am also curious about checking out some other smaller options. Largely I'm looking for good options for my wife who's using a 9' SH rod, I'll be using my switch rod. We're both open minded on technique options, although I tend to be much more focused on swinging and she's more focused on nymphing. Thought that some of the smaller streams and creeks might be a bit better suited to being able to fish well with a 9' rod, and we both love to explore new waters. Not sure if they are in shape, or if there are reasonable numbers of fish in any of them yet...

Curious if anyone had any current info, or good guesses even, about how some of the smaller north coast streams and creeks might be fishing given the water levels we're looking at next week (looks kind of on the low side of good I'm thinking?). I know some of these streams are kind of sensitive so I'll avoid naming them outright here, although I think the ones I'm considering are hardly "secret". So general responses would be fine for overall conditions, or PM for more specific info would be most welcome.
    Thanks,
    JB

For now and next wk, there are plenty of fish, fishermen, water in shape, and water coming into shape at large and small river options. Look at real time flow info here..

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ca/nwis/current/?type=flow

namely - the eel, navarro, noyo, garcia, gualala, van duzen, mattole, russian, etc.. Inspect maps, think about places where fish would hold - the few miles above the upper limit of high tide, stream confluences, and such, and come up with a plan. There are possibilities. Prepare for chilly mornings, no cell-phone coverage, and walking in areas without trails or within 2 minutes of a road.

Thanks Amoeba,
    I follow the flows pretty closely, but on newer streams I rarely have a solid idea for what's high, low, or good. I'm starting to get a few ideas though, thanks in no small part to some of the helpful folks here. Agreed on all other points you mention too. As for chilly mornings with no cell phone, I think we're both quite happy to not have a cell phone bugging us any time, even if it means having to put up with a bit of fresh crisp air

Cheers,
    JB

Keep in mind some coastal streams could close due to low flows: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/Fr...-ch3-art4.html Upper SF Eel around Leggett should have fish and will give you a small stream feel as flows continue to drop. Good Luck.

Thumbs up Coastal Streams....

All good info so far. In addition to the mandated low flow closures, I would add that these small rivers/streams have sand bars at the mouth. Some of those bars close more rapidly than others. For example, the bar on the Gualala River closes rapidly when there's any high surf. Once the mouth of the river closes on the small waters, the bite slows or stops. The bar at the mouth of the Garcia always seems to be open due to its position in relation to the direction of swells and the bluffs on the southern side. The Russian River below Hwy 1 is now an MLPA and not open to fishing at all.

Get a good tide table. If the bar is open, all of the estuaries of these smaller rivers/streams will flood on high tide and the water will be fishable if not clear. Since the estuaries are relatively shallow, fish entering will seek some type of structure very quickly to get bearings/rest up/whatever before moving on. That's where they can be caught on a fly. The plus is that just before the low thru mid-rise of the high, fish will being concentrated for targeting. High tide tends to scatter the fish.

Remember, if you arrive and "things" don't appear to be right, be ready to move on to the next water. Timing is everything over there. Believe me, you'll never forget a Steelhead caught fresh in from the salt....

Good luck, to you and your wife....
    Last edited by Darian; 01-12-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    . Believe me, you'll never forget a Steelhead caught fresh in from the salt....
    Yeah, see that there is the problem exactly! I caught a very good sized Steelhead up in Alaska this fall (my first and only adult Steelhead). It was a mere couple hundred yards from the sea, and it was a series of miracles that I landed it before it made it all the way back to the sea. Or that I landed it at all for that matter. We were fishing for Coho, and catching a few here and there but mostly catching Pinks. We'd seen a few Steelhead, but according to most it was still "too early", so this one was quite a surprise.

It was honestly an unforgettable evening in many ways, and one that I somewhat begrudgingly set out on. Fishing had been very tough, wind was bad, we were whooped already from too much fishing, I didn't think the conditions were good... etc. In the end I opted to go anyways just to spend a little time with my Dad, who was not to be stopped by any "conditions" as long as he could still get in the truck and drive to the creek. Ended up being quite an evening of fishing (and catching!), and watching the full moon come up over the mountains and the stream as the sun set across the bay. The Steelhead, as many of can guess, was absolutely AMAZING totally blew my mind to say the least. Now if I could just repeat that, even just a little bit...
    JB

Hey guys,
    Just a quick update and thank you. We did make it out, had some great sunny weather and some very fishy water. Had a great time, and some of the usual frustrations too, but thanks for all the tid bits of advice we were able to find exactly what we were looking forward to (minus a few fish to hand). Fishing was pretty slow for us, and everyone else that we bumped into along the coast. We did run into some though and I had 2 hookups, one jumped and pulled the hook loose, the other took off on a hard run and broke my 10# test like it was 6x tippet or something. Oh well, at least I'm getting some action ... still no steel to hand yet here in California for me.
    My wife was kind enough this trip to not outfish me; a welcome change from the other two times I took her along steelhead fishing.

Thanks for the helpful ideas and suggestions, especially the PM's (you know who you are). It helped shape a really great trip, and best of all a trip that I feel a learned a lot on.
    Cheers,
    JB