Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a steelhead leader formula

Default Looking for a steelhead leader formula

In this day of upscale equipment and state of the art fly rods, vests, etc. I find myself getting a little upset. Maybe its because I'm older, retired, and a cheap skate. Anyway, I decided to start tying my own steelhead leaders. I googled steelhead leader formula's and came up with formula's from 5 feet long (25 lb/15" 15lb/15" 10lb/30 inches) up to 10 foot with a 50 lb stepped down to 10 or 15 lbs. I'm interested in a 6 or 7 foot long leader because I generally add a dropper of 24 inches (an egg) to whatever I'm fishing as my lead fly. Anyway, my question is do any of you tie your own leaders (6 or 7 feet), and if so what is your formula?

Thanks,
    East Bay Ed

I don't think I would get too technical - that short, most leaders should turn over - I would likely start with 25# maxima -say 3' or so then step down in increments (20-15-12-10 ....) maybe 6" to 8" to whatever final tippet diameter you want - make this length maybe 18".

Expect this should work just fine - likely could even start out at 20#

R-

Thanks Rick. Sound good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by East Bay Ed View Post
    Anyway, my question is do any of you tie your own leaders (6 or 7 feet), and if so what is your formula?

Thanks,
    East Bay Ed
    http://bethefly.com/fly-fishing-leader-construction/

Is this for dry-line swinging? or are you building a nymphing leader?

Is you are nymphing just use 12-10# flouro from the bait shop or Kienes (I like seguar abrazx). Go down to 8# for your dropper.

I'll be nymphing. Main fly and an egg dropper.

my favorite rig as of late is about 4' of 25, that being the section you use to put your bobber on and to adjust for depth, then about 4-6 feet depending on depth of 12lb, then about 2ft of 10 double surgeoned to the 12, and on top of that knot you put your shot. from there it doesnt matter as much, and on your egg dropper make sure if your pegging, to snell the hook so the hook pulls in line.....

Quote Originally Posted by TaylerW View Post
    my favorite rig as of late is about 4' of 25, that being the section you use to put your bobber on and to adjust for depth, then about 4-6 feet depending on depth of 12lb, then about 2ft of 10 double surgeoned to the 12, and on top of that knot you put your shot. from there it doesnt matter as much, and on your egg dropper make sure if your pegging, to snell the hook so the hook pulls in line.....
    x2. When you rig a few thousand nymph rigs, say fishing an egg drop in AK, you learn what works. If you're chucking a bobber and lead, you don't need (or want) a tapered leader. A taper leader is only more stuff to sink.
    Eat it. Eat it. Simon says EAT IT!!!

Default Nymphing leader

For myself personally, for nymphing (steelhead or trout) I typically fish around an 8 or 9' leader or so. I just use two pieces to taper it. First half, I use 10lb maxima ultragreen, and the second half (depending on what size tippit I'll be using) I will use either 8lb or 6lb maxima. After the 8-9' maxima leader, I will tie the standard fly fishing tippit on (2x-3x for the first bug typically). I like using the 10lb maxima on top (even though its not too thick) because I agree with Mike's point, that a thicker tapered leader is simply more line to have to sink. I've found the 10lb maxima is plenty stiff to turn big weights or indicators over when necessary, it never breaks on me, yet it is soft enough to have a nice direct 90 degree drop to the bottom of the river from the indicator (if that makes any sense). Some guys in the Truckee fly shop taught me this a while back... I like these maxima leaders mainly because they're super cheap. One spool will literally last you years to come, and I do think it works noticeably better for indicator fishing than tapered leaders do. However,everyone's got their own different tactics, this works for me... Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Ryan; 01-15-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Wanted to clarify a bit more...
    Ryan Williams

Nor Cal Fly Fishing Guide

https://flyfishcnv.com/