Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Putah Creek closure

Default Help with Putah Creek closure

So we all know that Putah Creek is a special place and it's a very sensitive subject this time of year. But now there is physical evidence of a couple of people hand catching spawning trout. The redd was trampled on and there are very few fish at the redd now. I'm not sure if these fish were kept if these idiots where able to catch any at all. We all need to bond together on this one and try to push for a creek closure. Any help would be great. From what I understand it's a long process and the more people who pitch in the quicker it'll get noticed by the CADFW. This fishery has the potential to be a trophy trout fishery but will never reach it's full potential if we sit back and do nothing.

Count me in.

Mike O Guest

Wondering why the people so gung-ho for closure of the creek to general fishing in the first place didn't do this back then???

I'm in as well.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Post Putah Cr....

I hope you guys realize that regardless of how many jump in, only a few will do the lions share of the work. Just the way things like this happen. Get ready. If you expect to get a leg up on this early, some suggestions:

1. Locate and talk the CADFW warden over there to see what he/she thinks about the idea. You may've already done this....

2. Contact the local/statewide fly fishing clubs/organizations for their support (e.g. CalTrout, Trout Unlimited, Davis Fly fishers, CFFU, etc.)

3. Contact local/state government to see how they feel about it. (e.g. Winters(?), Solano, Yolo Counties, CADFW).

4. Identify any objections/obstacles early in the process.

5. We have a state legislator from that area who has supported environmental issues in the past (e.g. Senator, Lois Wolk). Contact her staff to determine of there's any interest in this issue.

The first four items might be met at the upcoming ISE Sportsman Show as they'll undoubtedly have booths there. I suggest you contact all of these entities as soon as possible to determine what's required. This way you'll be able to get an idea of how much support you'll have and what you have to overcome, if anything.

good luck....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Mike O-
    I never thought it was a big issue until I seen ask these healthy spawners being targeted. Since putah is making a slow comeback and more fish are spawning it seems words gotten out and fisherman are just abusing the chance to catch a large fish without doing any real work. It's just sad to see it take a step forward then two steps back.

You are pontificating to the group that got the regs changed there in short order when the stocking ban happened. Who else accomplished something like that? They are also the group that protect their stream every day, educating, looking for poachers and DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT. They have work parties, with the approvals necessary, cleaning out spawning beds, putting up signage and improving this little water. I think they can manage without your 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    I hope you guys realize that regardless of how many jump in, only a few will do the lions share of the work. Just the way things like this happen. Get ready. If you expect to get a leg up on this early, some suggestions:

1. Locate and talk the CADFW warden over there to see what he/she thinks about the idea. You may've already done this....

2. Contact the local/statewide fly fishing clubs/organizations for their support (e.g. CalTrout, Trout Unlimited, Davis Fly fishers, CFFU, etc.)

3. Contact local/state government to see how they feel about it. (e.g. Winters(?), Solano, Yolo Counties, CADFW).

4. Identify any objections/obstacles early in the process.

5. We have a state legislator from that area who has supported environmental issues in the past (e.g. Senator, Lois Wolk). Contact her staff to determine of there's any interest in this issue.

The first four items might be met at the upcoming ISE Sportsman Show as they'll undoubtedly have booths there. I suggest you contact all of these entities as soon as possible to determine what's required. This way you'll be able to get an idea of how much support you'll have and what you have to overcome, if anything.

good luck....

Question "....Pontificating...."

Hey Mikel,.... Got up on the wrong side of the bed again, did we???? Don't get your shorts in a bunch. They're just suggestions....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    Mike O-
    I never thought it was a big issue until I seen ask these healthy spawners being targeted. Since putah is making a slow comeback and more fish are spawning it seems words gotten out and fisherman are just abusing the chance to catch a large fish without doing any real work. It's just sad to see it take a step forward then two steps back.
    You can say the same for just about all sport fish in CA.

I'm incredulous that the creek is not closed during spawning season already. It is such a short stretch of waterway to begin with....

Sad that this State's F&G cannot make the right call and close the creek immediately as a form of "management".... After all, they are supposed to be rather hands-on and properly manage our fisheries.... Another topic, obviously.

I believe you have to contact the Biologist for that region and address the concerns throught their proper channel (CDFW). They wil then conduct an impact report $$$$ to include fishing the creek during spawn season and if the fishery is being impacted from the idiots that fish the Redds and roped off areas. I agree that a closure regulation should be put back in place to alleviate the immoral and improper angling and to allow the spawning fish to reproduce productively. Sustaining a healthy fishery should be first and foremost on everyones list.