Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 36 Inch Wild Steelhead, Trinity

Default 36 Inch Wild Steelhead, Trinity

My son caught this wild steelhead on 12/30/12 in 18 inches of water.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3195 copy.jpg 
Views:	931 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	6074
    Last edited by Sunfish; 01-06-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: wrong date

Nice fish... Maybe sitting on a bed? Looks like full spawn mode. The adipose fin may have been a partial miss clip. They are typically a bit bigger and more round. Not bagging a great catch, just looks that way to me. Nice fish anyhow!

Thumbs up 36" 'er

That's a beautiful fish no matter where it was caught....!!!!
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Leave the spawners alone, sheesh.

Errr...26"? Typo? One's width across the fingers usually 4"(+/-)?

Still a beauty, even if measured by Bill Dance.
    JGB

Sunfish,
    That's a dandy. One to remember.
    Best,
    Larry S

How is it everyone assumes a fish they didn't catch is a "spawner"? Nice fish ans I'm sure a thrill. Give the criticism a rest, it's getting old......by the way, let's stop steelhead fishing completely, they're ALL spawners, if that's your criteria.

I think that it is pathetic that fellow fly fisherman has chosen to tear down the acomplishment of a son, and a proud father. The argument about catching spawners is for the birds. I agree with the last post. All steelhead are spawners, and bass, and bluegill, and catfish, and carp... blaah blaaah blahh. I have been a bass fisherman all my life and look forward tto catching the bass of a lifetime in early spring... and so does everyone else. Just release it. It should be illegal to keep any spawning fish, but not catch one. Thats a heck of a fish, and he should be proud, and SO SHOULD HIS FATHER!

Wow, nice fish.
    You're holding it wrong, you fought it too long, it's a spawner, it's wild, it's hatchery, you took it out of the water, you caught it on a glow bug,with an indicator, it's not as big as you say, you sight fished, you walked on a redd, the water was too warm, the water was too cold, you scared the poor thing...........

Did I miss any?

I got the popcorn going right after the first post.

Gotta love the steelhead forum.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    Wow, nice fish.
    You're holding it wrong, you fought it too long, it's a spawner, it's wild, it's hatchery, you took it out of the water, you caught it on a glow bug,with an indicator, it's not as big as you say, you sight fished, you walked on a redd, the water was too warm, the water was too cold, you scared the poor thing...........

Did I miss any?

I got the popcorn going right after the first post.

Gotta love the steelhead forum.

Ed
    This is classic Ed! Thanks!

For all you "new" guys around here, dont think for a second you can use someone elses "mistake" to educate all us numb skulls that apparently need you to tell us how to _____________! Fill in the blank. See Eds post? all those subjects have already been addressed from every angle imaginable which always includes an argument. They are rarely educational. And you want to see what happens as a result? just look at the current state of this forum. Go back 5 or 6 years in our archives and see people posting awsome pictures every day from great fishing days and good times. Not only are those days gone, but a lot of those wondeful members are gone too.

Now, before this thread gaines a "No Shame" title, think twice before type.

Good catch for your son sunfish. The smile says it all.