Thread: First Time Salt Water Fishing

Default First Time Salt Water Fishing

I am headed to India for a few weeks and will be on the beach. (It is much nicer than you are probably imagining.) Not wanting to go so long without fly fishing, I decided to pick up a 7 piece travel rod from Orivs and give saltwater fishing a try. My plan is to fish from shore and just fish the surf. A recent article by Jeff Solis in Fly Fisher magazine had some great pointers to get me started.

The Orvis operator suggested I go with this package:
    Frequent Flyer 8-wt. 9' TIP FLEX Rod - This is the smallest rod w/ anodized reel seat
    Access Mid Arbor IV Reel
    10' Polyleader - I thought this might be long according to the article, but the operator said it was the best one. It is fast sinking.
    Mirage Fluoro Tippet 8lb
    The rod comes with a floating line and they wouldn't let me swap it out for a sinking line, but he said it will be fine for what I want to do.

Does this sound like a decent package or overkill? I was originally planning on a 6wt rod, but the guy said those do not come with salt water reel seats. Mr. Solis wrote that he uses 5 & 7 wt rods for his trips to the beach.

I think for most, an 8 weight outfit is a good way to go for casting off the beach anywhere in the saltwater. If you took a second rod then a 6 weight would be OK.

Also, anywhere there are thousands of people living, there won't be that good of fishing. Try to get away from the people....

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks Bill. I'll be on the west coast in a pretty rural area. I'm sure that doesn't mean there will be fish there though!

You might want to check with Jeff Currier---www.jeffcurrier.com
    Fish like the humans you are-- L. Hemingway