Thread: Having a heck of a time finding prices

Mike O Guest

Default Having a heck of a time finding prices

What's the going rate for Hoffman 1/4 saddle #2 grade Angler's Choice Saddle Hackle? No one seems to carry it online, and I don't know if I have a possible deal at $15...they are "slightly used" according to the seller...but I would look, if they were a good deal.

Hackle has been really hard to get so I wouild buy it where you can...
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    What's the going rate for Hoffman 1/4 saddle #2 grade Angler's Choice Saddle Hackle? No one seems to carry it online, and I don't know if I have a possible deal at $15...they are "slightly used" according to the seller...but I would look, if they were a good deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    What's the going rate for Hoffman 1/4 saddle #2 grade Angler's Choice Saddle Hackle? No one seems to carry it online, and I don't know if I have a possible deal at $15...[snip]
    No going rate because Hoffman sold his stock to Whiting and now the saddles out there are just what was left when Hoffman was a brand name. Every now and then you see a dusty saddle or cape in a shop, but it is a pretty infrequent sighting. You did not say what you needed this for. That might help with a better assessment of value. According to the Whiting web site, the Hoffman strain has been incorporated into the "Dry Fly" aka 'red label' line. While the price of a 1/4 Whiting red label saddle is more than $15, a 1/2 saddle in "bronze" grade (easily a match for a Hoffman #2, if not better) is only around $30, and a full saddle is $60.

Hackle shortage caused by hair style craze is mostly done, so you should be able to find better hackle readily.
    -JD

Thumbs up Saddles....

From JD's pricing info, I'd say the saddle you're considering is over-priced. A 1/4, Hoffman/Whiting Saddle sells for $15.00 and has all feathers left on it. New saddle is better value.

The saddle you're considering is "lightly used"; read, many individual feathers are gone, probably all from similar size range. That may or my not be in the size range you want to use but if the missing feathers are the size that you use, the neck would appear to have no value for you.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Mike O Guest

Thanks folks. Am in Boise, and saw them on CL. Haven't shopped for it in a while