Thread: Help!! I got a rooster for Christmas!!

Default Help!! I got a rooster for Christmas!!

So my girlfriends father is a good-ol boy who prefers to raise his own meat and some of his own greens. About a month ago I helped him chase the neighbors mean old rooster out of his barn. It was a big white monster as mean as the devil. Once we got him over to the neighbors ranch he hinted to me that if he had to chase that thing off again he was just gonna kill it. So I told him if he did to let me know and Id take it off his hands cause all that white hackle would work really well for striper flies. He just kinda laughed and I thought that was the end of it, but kinda hoping I got a call to pick up that big old rooster soon. Well on Christmas morning he dropped by to exchange some gifts and he handed me a sour cream tub that was full of seed and had a nice green bow on top. He just smiled at my bewilderment and asked my daughter to help him get the rest of the present out of his truck. They came back into the house with a cat sized carrying crate toting a dang LIVE rooster. It wasnt the big white one but a more common reddish/brown rooster. My daughter thought it was the best thing ever. I guess he figured that being a bird hunter I would prefer to kill it on my own. I dont mind that part, especially since I was reminded that roosters DO crow in the morning. And being a bird hunter I do know how to skin a bird without destroying the feathers. But here is what Im not sure of-

How do you prepare a cape?

Should a rub the fat off and add salt to cure the skin?

Should I place it between 2 flat objects to keep it from curling up during drying?

Can that reddish/brown color be bleached out and/or dyed into a brighter green or other color?

I really want to utilize this as much as I can. I may only tie a dozen trout flies a year but I could use the heck out of the stuff for bait fish patterns if I can get the colors right.

Mike O Guest

Don't just use the cape..saddle up!!

You may have lost the chance at a quick kill. Your daughter saw it.

I used info from here and it worked out...

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/52...es-and-saddles

Your daughter has already named it and it is now part of the family. You kill it and she will be devastated Roosters crow all day long. I worked in old Fair Oaks and listened to those things all day long.

Enjoy!!
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Over 30 years ago when good hackle was harder to get some of my customers went to auctions out in the country and bought old live roosters for $2-$3.....

Then they took them home and killed them and skinned them.

You can salt or Borax the skin and tack it around the outside edge, feather side down, to a board.

You need low humidity to get them to dry out this time of year.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I like borax, and you should scrape off any fat as well. Pretty much what Bill said, nice dry place, just make sure the beetles and moths don't get at it while it dries.