Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gualala River Tips

Default Gualala River Tips

I'll be in the Gualala area for a few days next week and want to try my luck steelheading the Gualala River since it's open. Any tips on these questions are much appreciated. First, I've never fished for coastal steel and wonder what rod selection is appropriate. 8 weight territory or smaller? Second, I've read Bill's article on this website about fishing this river but I have not been able to find a good map online to find access points. How do I get to Donkey or Snag hole? I know how to get to the tidal area just from driving over there on prior trips that sounds like a place to wet a line but advice much appreciated. Thanks and Happy Holidays!
    The essence of b.s. is not that it is false but that it is phony... -Harry G. Frankfurt

Kiene's Online Shop carries the StreamTime Maps. Gualala/Garcia is one of them. If you search back a month or so, there were
    some posts about fishing there.
    Best,
    Larry S

First buy a tide book. The river is going to be high so the fish most likely won't be holding in any of the holes. They will be moving fast. You would be better off fishing the tide changes near the county park. If the river is high and dirty throw big flies at them and fish closer to the bank in shallower water. Park at the campground and walk down the trail and fish the tailouts of the two pools you can get to by walking.

From the amount of rain we have had, and what is projected, I think, but not sure, that the Gualala is going to be a rich coffee with cream brown for most of this coming week.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie S View Post
    From the amount of rain we have had, and what is projected, I think, but not sure, that the Gualala is going to be a rich coffee with cream brown for most of this coming week.
    The national weather service is only predicting between 1/2 and 3/4 an inch between now and friday.
    http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/wxt...lon=-123.52807

High dirty water doesn't scare me off any more as long as there is 6 inches of vis.

That's what they predicted for Friday to today too...we got almost 6". Do you believe weather forecasters...if so, I have some ocean view property in Arizona for you.

From where I'm sitting (Fort Bragg) there's not a river to be fished on the coast for the next week. We are sure to get more rain over the 24th and 25th....so make that ten days. Sorry.
    Highway One at the Garcia is closed even though the CAL-TRANS phone and web site say differently! The rain and the high tides have made everything chocolate....Just what I love for Christmas: Chocolate. But I prefer it in a cup and warm not in the rivers.
    I'm happy for the fish and a little bummed for myself and the others that fish.

Hey Charlie...How much for that property? And, Does it come with clamming rights?

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! It may be low visibility fishing but I'll give it a whirl during incoming tide, as was recommended!
    The essence of b.s. is not that it is false but that it is phony... -Harry G. Frankfurt

Great conditions yesterday, but no fish. Two drift boats, four single man cats, and a dozen bank fishermen shut out.

Quote Originally Posted by Awood View Post
    Great conditions yesterday, but no fish. Two drift boats, four single man cats, and a dozen bank fishermen shut out.
    taht useual case. Small streem sueted to local fishman. Timing to cretical.