Thread: popped my redfish cherry

Default popped my redfish cherry

Just got back from a wonderful trip to New Orleans with the better half. This was a combination mini-honeymoon / fishing trip. In short we had a blast.
    This was both our first time to the Big Easy. Soaked in the sights and sounds of the city. The food was amazing everywhere.
    We did some touristy stuff:

We ate really good. Gained at least 3 lbs each:

Visited the local shop:

On to the fishing. I booked 2 days but only ended up fishing one day due to weather. It wasn’t wide open by any means, but I caught a few fish. This was my first ever sight-fishing experience and it showed. Had a tough time seeing the fish that the guide pointed out and my short-range casting accuracy sucked. Added to that, most of the fish we saw were ‘laid-up’. Just sitting there motionless and spooked as we got closer or as the fly landed in the water.
    Still, I had a few heart-stopping moments on some really big fish. First was a 25-lb+ bull that followed the fly 15-ft from the boat. It spooked as I inexplicable lifted my rod. Rookie.
    Another was a pod of huge bulls tailing in some very muddy water. The guide had a tough time figuring out the direction of the fish. Finally, one of the giants showed itself. I made a cast on target, made the right strip, the fish looked and followed…, guide said ‘get ready, he’s gonna eat it’. Then it just turned away….Holy shiznit. 40+ lb bull according to the guide. What a rush.
    We kept on pushing on and by this time, the next pods of fish that we saw were more active. Spotted a small redfish 20 feed from the boat. Made the right cast, fished turned, inhaled the fly and I strip set. Pretty freakin cool.

First ever redfish on:

Very happy man:

Apparently I got really excited and started cussing like a sailor when I hooked my first ever redfish. The guide got a good laugh out of that:

Around the bend, we saw a few more active fish. I couldn’t spot the fish but could see the wake as it pushed against the bank. Made a cast to intercept it, a couple of soft stips, and fish on:

The marsh is so full of life:

Not a bad first sight-fishing trip for a rookie. I caught some fish and got a few giants to follow. I can see why people keep coming back to this wonderful place.
    We ate good, had a LOT of fun with the better half and I caught a new species on the fly.
    Life is good.

Mar,
    Great photo report. If you like reading crime fiction, try the "Dave Robicheaux" series by James Lee Burke. They're
    all based in that area.
    Happy Holiday,
    Larry S

Thumbs up LA Reds.....

Great trip!!! Those Oysters and the Po' Boy, MMM-MMM!!! Doesn't get much better than that. Did a good job on the Redfish, too. They're really good looking fish. Too bad you couldn't get the big one to bite. Next time!!
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Way to go Mar. You can now add another fish to your list. I see you fished with Greg Moon. He's a great guy and guide and will always give you a 100%. Amazing how he can see those fish before you even get near where they are.

Short casting was hard for me too. Sometimes it's nothing more than just a roll and a flip at the end of your rod. Add to that the layed up fish are definitely hard to see and you've got to put it right in front of their nose.

We're already talking about going again next year in either Oct. or Nov.

Congratulations again on your first RED,
    TONY
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

You two look SOOOOO happy !! Great post !

D.~

First off congratulations on your marriage and secondly congrats on your first red fish! I must ask did you have any crawfish pies? I had one when i was there for the Jazz Festival, and oh man it was good! You are most right, wonderful food in the Big Easy. Great post with great photos... Thanks for sharing!

Great post as usual Mar....

What time of year did your guide recommend for a Redfish trip there?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Good for you Mar!! N'awrlins AND Redfish. Can't get any better than that! We love NOLA (wife went to school there) The food, the architecture, the people. (Been to Uptown Angler too).

And I love chasing Redfish. Been fortunate to do that at South Padre Island, TX, Hilton Head, SC; and Mobile Bay, Al. Still need to go fishing when we go to NOLA.

And congratulations on your marriage. Wish you a long happy one.

Take Care,

Jimmie
    Chicago Park, CA

Thanks all. I guess I should clarify....I should have written 2nd honeymoon....been a long time (13+ years) since we had some quality time alone and had so much fun that it felt like our first honeymoon

Hopefully I'll be able to save enough $$ for a another trip next year.

Bill, according to the guide and as Tony mentioned, Oct/Nov are the best times to go. More fish and cooperative weather. December can be awesome with more huge bulls around but the weather is iffy, as I found out. They recommend booking at least 3 days to improve your chances of hitting perfect conditions for sight-fishing: clear skies, calm wind and good tides.

Thanks again all. Merry Christmas!!

Mar