Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arawana

Default Arawana

Quote Originally Posted by DLJeff View Post
    Thanks for posting that Bull Dog. I love those canned descriptions. Personally, I've found aruana (arawana, arowana, and any of the other multiple ways it's spelled) to not be as aggressive as that states. They can be spooky and very selective, not unlike tarpon at times. In a way they're more challenging that the peacock bass. I think that's why I'm going to spend a little more time looking for them and testing fly patterns and presentations on my next trip. I'd alsoo like to spend time fishing for pirarucu but my boat partners usually get tired f that after awhile.
    LOL. I actually wrote that but you are right I have seen them be pretty spooky. I think a lot of it depends on if they have seen or felt your presence in the boat etc. I have a video where about 10 Arawana came at a Zara Spook all at one time. It was really cool. I wish it wasn't such an amatuer video but I was involved so it was.

When are you going down there again? Where have you been before?

Rob

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

I'm going back down there in February. I prefer the Agua Boa. I spend as much time with my binoculars as i do fishing. Last trip we came across this big jag sunning on the bank early one morning. He let us get really close before wandering off. We jumped out and tried to follow him but he just melted into the jungle and disappeared. Later on the same trip I watched a harpy eagle fly thru the trees. Two sites I'll never forget.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jag3.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	6018  

Email guy@fishingwithlarry.com. Guy Schoenborn has hosted several trips to Agua Boa and should have a recommendation for flies. I am going with him next November, my 1st Amazon trip. Even if you aren't his client he loves to talk fishing.

Bill Siler

After some thought (with the judicial application of brain lubricant) I decided a nice big green katydid that sits in the surface film and can be twitched might be the right bait. I'm giving these a few shots besides the usual small baitfish assortment.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	katydid side.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	6120

Nice fly !!

Try to contact Rod Harrison in Australia - they have a VERY similar species called a Saratoga that they chase w/ surface flies .

Hope this helps !!

D.~

From the piranha's perspective, there's nothing like a good piece of tail!
    How about some mouse patterns?
    Best,
    Larry S

Good suggestions David and Larry. I lived in Australia from 1995 - 1998 and did a little 'Toga fishing so I am familiar with those. And I have a few deer hair/foam mice patterns I tied for Mongolia last year and they should look like a big old beetle or something.

DLJeff,
    Sending you a PM.
    Best,
    Larry S

Another bucket list trip for me right there. Id love to go to the amazon to chase peacock bass and arowana! I keep them at home in my aquariums so they are fish I love to see and would really love to catch. There are a few different types of aro's in the amazon. The one pictured is a black/blue aro. They are a bit more rare than the silver arowana that you often see pictures of. They both get quite large but the silvers do get a bit bigger. Often topping 3ft+ in the wild. I would imagine a large green hopper would work great...big like the size of your middle finger.

DLJeff that is a really cool picture of the Jaguar. SOunds like you have some good trips down there. One of these days i'll make it down. But for now i'll have to go check out Florida or Hawaii for my pbass fix.

Back from the Amazon and happy to report I caught a few aruana. One guy in our group caught an 8lb aruana which is way on the big side of the scale. I never found the right spot to try my leaf hopper though. I was waiting for a spot with lots of over hanging branches and aruana cruising underneath. Nearly all the aruana I saw this trip were around deadfalls. I did manage a real nice one on a wool head baitfish pattern that floats just below the surface. And weirdly I caught one on a peacock fly while using a 250grain sinking line in the middle of a lagoon. I guess it just goes to prove that any "givens" in the fishing world are easily disproved.