Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arawana

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Default Arawana

Anyone had enough recent experience with arawana to offer some fly suggestions? I know they eat small baitfish patterns that set high in the water column and especially if you can keep it in front of them for a long time. I also know arawana will jump to knock insects out of over hanging trees so was wondering if anyone has tried large insect imitations, maybe a big green katydid or leave hopper. Re-stocking my fly box for next year and think I'll spend more time figuring out the arawana this time. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arawana resized.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	5993  

Where did the fish's tail go? Just curious.

I know they will jump 5' out of the water to catch a bird flying overhead. Maybe a good tropical bird pattern Where did the tail go? Croc, pahrana?

Its easy to immitate a fly hanging from a tree. Ive done it many times with various species

You guys are a lot of help. The betting money is that pirahna took his tail. We a big temensis one time that had the back half of the fish chewed down to bones by pirahna. Not much goes to waste in the Amazon. Those damn pirahna will nip off your fly line by attacking knots, color changes (such as if you colored a braided loop or didn't color the loop), and even the braided loop. Anything that looks like a small baitfish can be attacked. And with some of the white pirahnas as large as dinner plates, they can attack some pretty big fish.

From what I've seen on Peacock trips the Arawana is very surface oriented. Try poppers, gurglers, airheads and the pole dancer. Throw them with a 10wt on an outbound short tropical line. Great fun when you get into a school of Arawana.

Default Tails missing

Quote Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
    Where did the fish's tail go? Just curious.
    One of a Piranhas main food itemes is other fishes fins. They will eat the fins off a fish and then simply leave them alone. The fins grow back and the food source is replinished! Seen many fish in the Amazon without tails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00319.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	6007  

Aruana (Osteoglossum bicirrhosum) Peixe Macaco or Monkey Fish spend most of their lifes in the top 1-2 feet of the water column. They are constantly looking up for food. They tend to gang up in quiet lagoons and under overhanging trees in the shade. Aruana are often seen jumping in the trees (hence the name Monkey Fish) to catch birds, insects and even snakes and lizards. They are a prehistoric looking fish that basically is all body right down to the end. Almost like an eel.

“Catching an Aruana is action packed since most of the time it is done sight fishing.” While you are cruising along casting for Peacock Bass you will inadvertantly come across a school of Arunana. If you do not spook them you can back up the boat and get your top water flies ready, sneak back to where you saw them and make a cast into or near the fish. sometimes the entire school of fish will attack your fly all at once. They are aggressive and usually leap high into the air numerous times during the fight. It is definatly worth the time to stop and cast to a group of hungry Aruana.

http://peacockbassflyfishing.com/aruana

Thanks for posting that Bull Dog. I love those canned descriptions. Personally, I've found aruana (arawana, arowana, and any of the other multiple ways it's spelled) to not be as aggressive as that states. They can be spooky and very selective, not unlike tarpon at times. In a way they're more challenging that the peacock bass. I think that's why I'm going to spend a little more time looking for them and testing fly patterns and presentations on my next trip. I'd alsoo like to spend time fishing for pirarucu but my boat partners usually get tired f that after awhile.

It is now legal to smoke arawana in Colorado in case you all did not know. Just saying! He He!