Thread: La Ribera , Baja Sur report , Dec. 1-17

Default La Ribera , Baja Sur report , Dec. 1-17

Statistics -

Days in ,17 (2 travel , non-fishing) , fishing sessions (2-5 hours each ) 16 . Fish landed by our group - 242 , just myself and Candida-225 . Flights were with AA , Sac to LAX , LAX to Los Cabos - return was Los Cabos to Dallas , Dallas to Sac (horrible second leg of flight) , tickets were less than $450.00 per person . Try to get your flights w/ West Coast connections to save time and frustration . Zero customs issues ....

Stayed in a small house on the South side of La Ribera owned by my Friend Loreto Lucerio , 400+ yards from the beach , $500.00 USD .... clean , nice , hot water , no issues . No early morning sessions , few late evening sessions . Usually cooked breakfast , but ate out a lot . Best food was at La Costa on the beach road , Pollirea (home of the SUPERBURRO) , La Trinidad RV park (not bad , but $$$) , and Viernay on the road into town . All food except La Trinidad was very inexpensive . Modelo/Pacifico light were 750 pesos for an 8-pack (get the cans , big recycle charge on glass and you need to save your recepit for refund) . Tap water tasty , no one got sick from food or water . We took down spending money in pesos at a 12-1 exchange rate , best to do this !

Conditions -

Everything . Heavy rain for several days , most of the trip was calm , overcast , mild to moderate surf and swell . Water temps were in the high 70's-low/middle 80's , a few odd wind driven patches of cool water on the beach a few times . Wind was on and off , heavy at times for the last week of the trip . Bait around the Marina in town , a big ball of Sardina @ Punta Arena . Small Sardina (1/2-1 inch) scattered along most beaches . Fish were receptive to smallish flies , used mostly #2 Chart/White Clousers (2 1/4 inches) . Mostly cool (under 85 degree) weather .

Fishing -

Every trip we've made has had different fishing and species . Same with this one ..... slow days , days where you could pick up a few of whatever was around , good (25+ fish) days , and one OH SHIT day . Few large Roosters running the beaches , most fish were under 4 lbs. . Used rods of 6 , 7 , and 8 wt. , used the 6 the most . That choice came to haunt me one morning . I hooked something (BIG Pargo , perhaps a Tripletail ??) @ Playa La Ribera just South of the Marina that I WISHED I could get rid of . Fish nearlly spooled my little Stutz reel - it would just smoke off , then sulk and shake it's head . Finally brobe the tippet/leader loop after 10 minutes of hurting me . The Mexican construction workers at the Marina stopped working so they could see what was beating my ass so badly ....

Most Winter species were around with the exception of Sierra - they were totally absent (NOT normal) . 7,000 kilos of Sierra and Pargo were gillnetted out of the bay in front of Punta Colorada the week before we arrived , and a few netters out of Sinaloa had gillnet permits and were working the area in front of the Marine , killing everything . If netting was banned in a 10-mile circle around Punta Arena .... the area would be THE SPOT for the beach/inshore fisher . As it is currently , we did well . Most common species encounterd were Green Jacks , Lookdowns , Coreneta , JC's and Gafftopsail Pompano - all horrors on a 6 or 7 wt. Flyrod or light Spinning tackle . If limited to two rods , bring a fast 7 , and a 10 wt . A few Ladyfish (medium to hefty) were around , and the reefs of Punta Colorada were infested w/ tiny Flag and Ribera Cabrilla , a hopeful sign for the future . We saw Dorado jumping at Punta Arena 100 yards off the beach , and had a massive ball of Tuna crash the beach there .... hooking and losing two . If you want 'big'un's' , rent a Panga . If you want fun hunting for small/medium fish of different species , and a shot at a once-in-a-lifetime catch .... stay on the beach . Access is restricted at the Lighthouse Estates (bastard gringos ....) and Punta Colorada . If you rent a Car/Truck , double-check that it has 4WD and big tires . We payed a LOT for a 4WD , but wound-up w/ a 2WD Rave 4 . Got stuck in Arroyo Salinas for 5 hours one afternoon , broke tow ropes several times before getting a local w/ a Panga rope to save us . Cost was $40.00 USD , and I would have gladly spent twice that !! Punta Arena is accessable the regular way , but just past the last Rancho the soft patch will eat your little econo Car . 4WD and high clearance is the ticket to reaching great fishing .

Mexicans -

Best people on the planet , IMO - we have quite a few Friends there now , and we made even more on this trip . Everyone , and I mean EVERYONE in La Ribera was Friendly and outgoing . When they see you are a traveling fisherman , they will stop by to bullshit and chat . Learn basic Spanish , be civil , and you will have NO issues . Local Police patrol the town , they left us alone and unmolested . Every Mexican we dealt with was Friendly and respectful .... just fantastic folks !!

Issues -

Rain , no biggie for us . The rains of November , however .... caused the bugs to hatch - Mosquitos ate me alive , and the sheer number of creepy-crawlies was like a scene out of the Naked Lunch . Very heavy surf and swell dented my fishing a few times . Roads were in fair to good condition , Gas is available in town . No real gear issues (other than me being stupid and fishing the 6 when I had a 'big-fish' feeling) , tried a Rio outbound short tropical I line for the first time . They should have named it the dump - it piled up , no matter how good or off my casting was . The only thing it did well was buck the wind , but it still was dumpy . I wish they would bring back the long head tropical Outbound , as it is the best line I've used so far . Used mostly heads on Sufix 30 Lb. , no great issues with that setup .

Photos and maybe a few stories later , hope you've enjoyed my tale !! PM me for specific questions , if you'd like -

D.~

Thumbs up La Ribera....

Sounds like you had a great trip. I wondered about driving in the arroyo's in that area. Too bad you got stuck. The fishing around the marina must be pretty good when the baits there. Lots of guys (gill netters) working down there now?? That explains the lack of bait fish. Same problem starting at La Ventana.

BTW, how many people on this BB have any idea what Naked Lunch is/was???
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    I wondered about driving in the arroyo's in that area ........... The fishing around the marina must be pretty good when the baits there. Lots of guys (gill netters) working down there now?? That explains the lack of bait fish.
    Hi D !!

The Marina is FULL of bait - Sardina , Mullet , etc. . It's the only big concentration of bait in the area all the way to Punta Pescadero . Kayaks/Pangas have great fishing around the Marina , but the inside of the Marina and the whole jetty at the mouth is off-limits to shore fishing (Trust me on this - I managed 'permission' to fish a rock breakwater just South of the main breakwater . That stuff is slimey and super rugged , just slip one time , or get nailed by the swell there .... your trip will be over , period .) .

I didn't see any gillnets , but Friends reported to me when/where they were at . I believe them . Since the tourist econmy is shit right now , and has been for some time ... I doubt these legal (permits out of Sinaloa on the mainland , remember ?) netters will stop anytime soon .

You really had to see the bugs . I'm not squeamish about them , but there were sooooo many , it was creepy .

D.~

Unhappy Bugs....

Would the locals allow you to use afloat tube in the marina??? If so, that could really be fun!!!

For the most part, there's not many skeeters at La Paz or La Ventana. Almost always a breeze around there. But, in the surrounding areas there're scorpions. They come out at dusk and are gone by dawn. I really enjoy the Gekko's down there. Every once in a while one will get into the room (they move lightening fast when you open you door). They get up into the ceiling area and chirp like tiny birds....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hey, David.
    What are the water temps in Nov - Dec? Are you using your regular lines or "tropical?" You should write
    a book about your treks to Baja. Always enjoy them. Just don't get into your William Burroughs mode!
    Best,
    Larry S

I suppose a tube could be used , if a person was insane . Bull Sharks and BIG (15-18 foot long kind of big) Tigers down the road at Cabo Pulmo , you couldn't pay me to be in that position !! Plus , you goof around and look at the scenery too much , the swell will put you onto the rocks . Long , 100+ yard swim back to the sandy beach ..... I'll pass , thanks !

We haven't seen a Scorp yet , but had a Beso Gekko (kiss-kiss-kiss-kiss) in our room - nice lil' fellow , he cut down the bug population in the house . Had a Green Iguana (we named him/her Gomez) in the Coconut Palm in the front yard . Sad , pathetic Dogs everywhere down there .... heartbreaking to see them . All were nice , for the most part .

Hi Larry !!

I like the Rio Outbound tropical I line , the long one ... and the old Cortland Tropic Lazer I line for full lines (both discontinued , a shame) . Truth is , what with the wind/waves/swell .... a head and mono runner will allow contact w/ your fly when a thick line won't . Even with a huge bow in your runner ..... sometimes , the water will feel kind of 'thick' - hard to explain . But that means your fly is in somethings' mouth . On really rough days , I almost NEVER feel a bite , it's more like you sense one . I split my time between the clear I head , and T-whatever loads whatever the rod I'm using . In really bad conditions , NOTHING tracks better than leadcore and mono . People will watch you fishing in the nasty stuff and wonder , but it WILL fish and work fine !

Temps since 2005 have never been lower than 76 , and usually are in the low/mid 80's .

I would write a book , but then I'd have to sell it . I prefer dealing w/ Cats/Dogs/Friends , rather than publishers !!

Photos in a few more hours , must go get some Pho !

D.~