Thread: Baja , 2012 -

Default Baja , 2012 -

17 days of total insanity .

Strange conditions , as usual . No bait anywhere inshore .... flat and calm most days , horrific swell and wind for a few days . Heavy rains for a couple .... had 4 days of what I would call 'good' fishing , and one day that was a once-in-a-lifetime day (Sunday , December 16th) that none of you are going to believe -

We added 6 new species to our list , bringing our beach total to 39 species . Most of this trip spent sick w/ a Chest cold , lost several days besides spending more time doing social things other than fishing . Higlights include an epic Pompano hunting session , mystery fish that could not be stopped , and Yellowfin Tuna hooked off the sand .

More later , I have to clean gear . Hope everyone is well !!

D.~
    Last edited by David Lee; 12-18-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Tired !!

David,
    Sorry to hear about your "down time." Anxious to see your full report.
    Best,
    Larry S

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
    David,
    Sorry to hear about your "down time." Anxious to see your full report.
    Best,
    Larry S
    I'll get it up soon , Larry .... you are NOT going to believe what happened Sunday ! I have fished since I was 3 years old and I have NEVER seen a day like that one ....

Hope you are well !!

D.~

OK, David don't keep us in suspense too long.
    Honey, lemon and Don Julio would of cured that chest cold.
    I can't wait until April, that's when I'm heading back to Baja for a 13 week stay and some warm weather

Jay

Come on come on, we need a fish fix. Get that report posted!

The short version of December 16th -

Stayed up late the night before watching my Friends get bombed on Rum . Woke Candida (last fishing day , right ??) at daybreak (I live to tell about it , she isn't a 'morning person' by any stretch ....) , and my Mexican Friend Johnny (who is quite crudo) shows up . We hit Punta Arena at 8"00 AM with a rising N/NW wind and a mild swell , last two hours of incoming . Rather chilly out there , candida makes it to the break and starts casting ....

BANG ! Nice fish , Jack I think . She beats the shit out of it in short order (brutal fight , BTW ....) and I wade in to tail it . Then ..... I see stripes ! A Golden Trevally !! Maybe 12-13 Lbs. , never hear of them off ANY beach , so we take it for food later (only fish harvested this trip) .

I figure , such a rare catch ..... that will be it for the day . How wrong can one person be ?

Johnny hooks a nice Jack , perhaps 7 lbs. - Johnny is just learning the light spinning tackle stuff , so he is thrilled beyond anything . He lands the JC and cures his hangover at the same moment . I start hooking Green Jacks , then a nice Pompano . Then another , and another ....

I land 10 Gafttopsail Pompano , and lose several others in the wash because I horse them . One of them is 25+inches , looks like 6 Lbs.(possible world record ? Didn't think they got that big) . I also hit a huge Graybar Grunt , several Greenies , and two Peacock Razorfish , total freak catches , along w/ Coreneta and large Longfin Croakers . Johnny jumps a huge Needlefish , and Candida takes a Pompano ...

Only a few hours later while hunting these Pompano , I hook a nice Ladyfish that manages to go thru my 12 Lb. tippet . I cut off the remaining tippet and sit down to re-tye the whole shebang as Candida stands up - She sees something strange ....

Big tan/Brown fishes (Amberjack ?) , several of them to perhaps 5-feet long . Not going fast , just crusing around . As she points them out ..... a large boil starts out 100 yards off the sand . The boil grows to 30+yards around and moves from the deep , headed straight for the sand . Candida screams "Get your rod , get them" !!!

Johnny looks confused as hell , but he follows . I sit there with my thumb up my arse and she wades into the break and the boil reaches her and Johnny . She screams TUNA !!!! They both cast , and both hook-up instantly . Wife loses her fish after a 150 yard run , Johnny races off North chasing his Tuna to the dropoff ....

After a 20 minute battle , the hook wears thru with the Yellowfin Tuna less than 30 feet away from the beach , nearlly beaten . We sit and talk for 20 minutes about what we just witnessed . W/ tippet and fly in place , I walk back down to the sand and start casting again . BANG ! Nice 'Roo , 7 lbs. . Johnny walks down and plunks his Jig next to my Roo .... BANG !! One close to 10 Lbs. We land both and John takes another break w/ Candida as I continue to hunt Pompano .

We leave the beach after a total of 4 1/2 hours , everyone is falling down exausted . I have had days with more fish , and I have had days with bigger fish . I doubt I will EVER see another day like this one . 10 species hooked , huge run of Pompano , my Wife catching a rare fish of a lifetime , and FREAKIN' YELLOWFIN TUNA HOOKED OFF THE SAND - tell me how often that happens ?!?

Full report w/ photos in a day or two , I am tired and still ill .

D.~

Amazing, David! Do you see any connection between the unusual run of fish near the beach and the lack of bait?
    And who said vacations were supposed to be relaxing?
    Best,
    Larry S

WOW! A day you will never forget! Thanks!

Maybe we can get a small group together for next year?

You guys deserved that day.............
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
    Do you see any connection between the unusual run of fish near the beach and the lack of bait?
    Larry -

Not really . I think that , because we were in Country for 17 days ...... we got lucky .

The big issue with , say , a 4 or 5 day trip is - if conditions suck for several days , you will be out of it . Of course , most cannot afford the TIME to stay for a long trip (this trip cost slightly less than a 12-day Hotel stay) , but if you DO have the time to hunt a place like Punta Arena ( a high % spot) .... you're gonna find some interesting things going on !

Bill Kiene -

If Hotel Punta Colorada ever opens again , I'd be happy to show the ropes to a group in early December .

On to the report proper !!

D.~