Thread: Pyramid lake future

Default Pyramid lake future

When do you think the first 30 pound fish will come out of pyramid lake, this year maybe next?

Its a very cool thing to think about the future of these pilot peak fish.

What do you think?
    I do love me some "Stillwater" fly fishing....Ernie

Ernie Gulley Fly Fishing Guide Service

(909)953-1770

Email: erniegulleyflyfishing@aol.com
    Web: www.erniegulleyflyfishingguideservice.com

Question 30 Pounder....

Interesting question.... It does seem that all of the components/elements are present for producing very large trout up there. Seems that there's an endless supply of fish food. The only thing against it would appear to be a lengthy period of cold water temps that may contribute to a slower growth rate.

I'm not able to see the future but I'd say that a 30 pounder is possible within 3 years if available food/water levels remain as they are.... Of course, a 30 pounder is probably already living in the lake and most likely will be caught by a troller or jig/spoon fisherman from a boat.

That size fish is going to live down deep and only appear for a short window of time in shallow water where it may be caught by a fly fisher. Not impossible but the stars have to line up right and you have to hold your tongue just so....

Wouldn't mind being the guy who caught it (on the fly of course)
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

This article just posted...
    http://www.norcalfishingnews.com/sto...s_story?id=788

This surely can't be a legitimate way to estimate but... 24 LB in 66 months is over 5LB per year. It states they can live up to 16 years so... unfathomable size.

I'd like to see how much bigger they can get. Wish they'd encourage C&R more on the big ones or close the top end off the regulations. They seem to be being bonked at a very high rate. At the overlook, I'm tempted to put up a photo op sign. One of those gag signs where you stick your head through the back. If they really need a pic at Crosby's (which is doubtful because everyone has camera phone now for the beach), just stick your head through and smile. Out comes a pic of you with a dead fish... in a bar. Lovely.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yourfacehere.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	5990

Thumbs up Pyramid....

Amazing, isn't it??? That fishery was almost gone when run by the state of Nevada and the feds. Since the Paiutes took over, it's come back to what it currently is. Yet, the feds still take credit for what's taken place. Oh well.... I'm not sure that management of the fishery needs to change much. Just look at what's available to catch.

One thing I would change is the fishing contests that are staged up there and I can't reasonable object as, apparently, the fishery hasn't suffered from them and the tribe benefits from them.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

First 30lb. Lahontan Cutthroat came out of Pyramid Lake probs 1000 years ago by some Paiute who figured out how to spear one. All the way up to the early part of last century fish to 60 lbs. were common and some taken on rod and reel exceeded 30 lbs (Tahoe holds the state record of 33 lbs caught in 1911). I must assume you are talking recent history (the last 65 years or so). My guess is similar to others, very soon and is already lurking. I do question the future genetic purity of the Pilot Peak fish that are reproducing but results are indeed very encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by catch&release View Post
    When do you think the first 30 pound fish will come out of pyramid lake, this year maybe next?

Its a very cool thing to think about the future of these pilot peak fish.

What do you think?
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare