Thread: Line Selection

Default Line Selection

Anyone have any thoughts about using a 450 gr. Skagit Flight with MOE tips on a Winston 11Ft. 7wt. Switch B11X. Are there other lines that will perform better?
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish that I catch, the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me any way".

Rio reccomends using a 325 to 375 skagit on that rod so 450 will probably overload the rod.
    http://www.rioproducts.com/spey-cent...commendations/

The rio recommendations seem to be a good starting point, but tend to be consistently low for the lines i like on my two handers. Maybe a 425 skagit short would be a good line to try for your Winston? Haven't cast that particular rod, but I love the 425 on my Beulah Platinum 7 switch. Only you can be the judge of what feels right for you though...

For me that chart worked perfect. For the Sage One #7 Spey it lists line from 500-550 for the Flight head and I got the 500 and its perfect. I would try the something in the 350-425.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Thanks for the input guys, I'll check them out.
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish that I catch, the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me any way".

Bryan , sent you a PM

I would believe Kiene's recommendations over RIOs for skagit systems (425 grain) - I agree with a previous post that RIO underlines skagits in many cases but it really depends on individual likes on rod load. I think I would also opt for the RIO short over the flights for switch rods but I go as short as possible for ease of casting all day long

http://flyshop.kiene.com/winstonbiix1107.aspx

Thanks guys,picked up a Rio 425 gr. Skagit Short and an Airflo Running line from the shop. Threw nice, but still have to work on the timeing on a shorter two hand.

Re. MOW tips. FWIW, Rio now has intermediate MOW tips out in the T11 and T14 varieties. The light (T expected
    in the spring. Just when you thought it would end! The latest "have to have" accessory. Forget about these for awhile
    and spend those bucks on the family this month.
    Best to all,
    Larry S

We just got our first shipment of the iMow tips into the shop (Kiene's) a few days ago. The intermediate rear section will definitely help you fish deeper, and fish deeper longer. Come by and give one a try.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member