Thread: Walker Lake, NV....

Question Walker Lake, NV....

Under the Entomology Forum, below, there's been an interesting discussion about aquatic insects in Pyramid Lake that made me wonder about the current state of Walker Lake. In case you haven't heard of it, Walker is southeast of Carson City and is a natural sink for water from the Walker River. It is one of the bodies of water in Nevada that was originally part of Lahontan Lake. It's waters are, also, alkiline; even more than Pyramid. Apparently, Walker is managed by the State of Nevada which predicted some time ago that the lake had a limited period of viability as a fishery due to increasing alkilinity.

Does anyone know if there's a current fishery for Cutthroat left in Walker Lake???
    Last edited by Darian; 12-10-2012 at 09:31 AM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian
    My understanding is that because of exceptionally high alkalinity the fishery at Walker Lake is no longer viable. I found this link http://www.anglerguide.com/nevada/index.cfm?TR_ID=1110 that states no cutthroat have been seen or reported since 2009.

Jay
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"

Question Walker Lake....

What a shame/waste of a wonderful resource. According to the book mentioned in the Pyramid Beetles thread, Walker was nearly 145' in depth in 1962. Now it's estimated to be 80'. All due to obstructions (water diversion) upstream for agricultural purposes. With some effort, it still could be re-established and protected as has been done at Pyramid.... I'm not holding my breath, tho.
    Last edited by Darian; 12-16-2012 at 10:13 AM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

US Fish and Wildlife has been acquiring water rights for years to put more water into Walker and has filed applications to transport the water to Walker, but it has been opposed. Hearings on the application are scheduled for June 2013. I drive by it 2x a year on my way to fish Pyramid and would love to fish there someday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walker_Lake_%28Nevada%29

Thumbs up Opposed....

Hmmm,.... If the feds have been acquiring water rights, who's opposing the transport of the water?? I know water is diverted from the Walker but the water that's transported could be accounted for (as it is in CA) and should not interfere with the diverters rights.... Maybe political reasons???

Author unknown

Walker Lake is no longer a viable cutthroat fishery. All the major food sources have been dying off due to the extremely high alkalinity. Just try to find a chub in the lake. I know people who grew up in Hawthorne and they lament the fall of a once great fishery.

I had heard that water rights were being bought up in an attempt to get water to the lake. Have to buy up a lot of water rights when 180% of the rivers flows are allocated for irrigation rights. Most of water rights that are available to buy are junior rights that have no guarantee of water except during big water years. It is the senior water rights that need to be bought up and this is a tough proposition in the water starved state of Nevada.

Post Water Rights....

180% of flows are allocated to growers??? Sounds like Walker lake is like Salton Sea. Since there're legal methods for the Feds to take what water they need/want but they are not using them, the political will to buy enough water to send to Walker isn't there in NV (nor here for that matter).

Author unknown

National Fish & Wildlife Foundation is making a major effort to restore Walker L. for Lahontans:

http://www.nfwf.org/2010AR/work/walker.shtml
    http://www.nfwf.org/Pages/walkerbasi...x#.UR3CB2j_jao