Thread: Echo TR 12' 5wt Spey Rod line advice needed

Default Echo TR 12' 5wt Spey Rod line advice needed

Today I just ordered a 12' 5wt Echo TR spey rod and I was wondering if anyone here has this rod, and or has experience with lining this rod. If you have line recommendations I am all ears.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

the rio line chart is usually pretty dead on, for me i usually go 25 grains above recommended.......i bet a light rage would be killer on that rod

A friend of mine has this rod and i've thrown it a couple of times... Nice rod, a 420 skagit compact felt good on it. I'm betting a 390 rage would be sweet or even 360 if you like fishing lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by TaylerW View Post
    the rio line chart is usually pretty dead on, for me i usually go 25 grains above recommended.......i bet a light rage would be killer on that rod
    +1 This is how I ended up with a Flight 500 for my Sage One #7 12-6.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Kiene's recomendations for that rod:

http://flyshop.kiene.com/echotrspey5120.aspx
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Adam-

I have the echo TR 12' wt weight. Out of the four spey rods I have in my household, I have to say that this rod is probably my favorite to cast. Although, I really love my Scott ARC 1287 also. I use a Airflo compact scandi, 360 grain weight. This grain wieght works great with the floater, intermediate, and fast sinking poly tip. I do find that throwing the super fast and extra super fast poly tips is a little more of a choir (thats probably due to my casting). I have not tried a skagit on this rod as I primarly fish floaters and intermediate tips when fishing for half pounders in the fall. Maybe the rage would do better with the heavier tips. What line did you get for your Scott ARC 1287?

Scott

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Scott, I decided on the 570gr Rage, it feels really nice on that rod. I could easily cast all of the Rage heads from 450 all the way up to the 600gr. I decided that I liked a deeper load on that 1287 ARC. The tip is so light that I could tip cast the lighter heads pretty well but loading that rod deeper generated much more line speed and it gave me a better "feel" when casting.''

I am excited about receiving my new 12' 5wt TR. The first lines that I am going to try are the 390 Rage and a 420 Skagit compact. I can't wait to get it out on the water.

Thanks again for the suggestions guys.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member