Thread: Just Getting Started

Default Just Getting Started

I live in the Midwest and want to get into the two-handed game. I bought a 6wt Beulah Switch rod and am looking to complete the outfit. I've talked to a couple of different folks and have gotten very different advice. I will be primarily fishing bigger water for large trout. I'll get into the steelhead/salmon game later. I anticipate fishing indicator double nymph rigs and also swinging/stripping larger steamers. I need a reel recommendation as well as line/shooting head advice.

go to your local shop and pick some brians...spend hours on google, spend a lot of $$$, and maybe you will figure this whole spey thing out....but maybe a versitip system would suit you, or an extra spool; one with a full floater (rio's steelhead atlantic salmon taper rocks for indicators), and the other with a scandi/skagit setup....there are a lot of resources (such as this website) out there, but nothings beats real world application....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJC5yECWh50
    http://flyshop.kiene.com/beulahswitch67.aspx
    Last edited by Rherrjr; 12-05-2012 at 10:43 AM.

I got a Lamson Guru 4 with the VersaTip kit and its awesome. So for your rod a Lamson Guru 3.5 will do the job with a VersaTip kit.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

If you could try out the lines first it would be best. I also have a Beulah 6wt switch. Different lines made a big difference in ease of casting. I did this in a 2 hr session with spey casting instructor with a variety of lines/reels.