Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Striper Rod?

Default Favorite Striper Rod?

I want to replace an old 890 Graphite II with a better rod. My clouser rod is an 890 Orvis Zero Gravity which I love, despite some bad reviews. I'm thinking a Z-Axis, love my 6 wt. My lines are 8 wt. so I'm probably sticking with that weight. What do you like, especially for a floater?

Try a PM to Loren E (Elliot.) He guides for stripers in the surf.
    Best,
    Larry S

I'd use a larger rod in the surf. My 11 for tarpon might be a bit overkill but that's my next size up. This is for the Delta, A, and Feather.

Thumbs up Striper Rod....

One suggestion.... Go to Kiene's and try out some eight weight rods/lines. Then pick what you like. A plus for this one is that Kiene's still has a bunch of rods on sale. You might get a good price on one.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

SAGE XI3 8wt and 9wt -W- Rio Outbound S6 is tough to beat for sub surface presentations. An XI3 in 9 or 10 matched with a Rio OutBound short will throw any Top water bug you can find.
    Thats what we use on my sled.
    HATCH
    Last edited by Hatch; 12-04-2012 at 05:56 PM.

I have a 8 weight Sage one with the new taper (make sure it is one made within the last 5 months) and a 9 weight Xi3. Both are great rods. I also have a 7 weight tcx but do not recommend a tcx in any weight for striper fishing.

I agree with Hatch the xi3 is the best but I have a couple of buddies that prefer the one for Stripers. I would look to the one for a 10 Weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Throw !!! Sorry
    That's put very well Hatch.

You got throw long, you got throw lots, you got to throw on target, and when the sh_ts hitting you got to throw quick.

Fun stuff, those stripeys.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Any fast action 9 foot 8 or 9 weight should do for most striper fishing. Tons of great options out there.

For the surf I fish the Beulah 11 foot surf rods and they rock out there. I like the 9/10 for the large flies I fish.

Best -Loren

Both the Redington Link & GLoomis Pro4X are nice rods in 8wt if you're comfortable with rods just under $400. They do a commendable job of throwing the Rio OBS 8wt lines especially the intermediate & floating versions.

The NRX 4 piece is a very nice rod. If you're wanting to go long with heavy sinking lines, this is an excellent choice.