Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First spey rod

Default First spey rod

I am looking at getting my first spey rod, I want to get a lighter rod 5 or 6 wt. Looking at tfo or echo or redington rod. I am looking at some input.

Dont overlook the line of Beulah's. They make a great 12-6 6wt.
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish that I catch, the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me any way".

Our two most popular Spey rods are 12'6" #6 and 13' #7.

Where did you want to fish with this new Spey rod?

We have Tim Rajeff "Solo" Spey rods for $229.00 with a case and lifetime waranty, brand new.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I fish smaller river , like the Tuolumne, Stanislaus and Merced Rivers and I fish the American for shad.

Maybe a 6 weight Switch rod would be better for you.

They are phsyically line a long 8 weight single hand fly rod.

For just trout on those rivers you could use a 5 weight Switch.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

In an attempt to get this back on track (and for the record, Jed's right), I would look at a 3-5 wt spey for what you're looking for. I use an 11' 4/5 switch for shad, summer steel, and winter fish on the Klamath and Trinity. It handles fish up to 10 lbs, and is a little overkill on fish under 18" or so. There are some great light speys out there.

A light 6wt spey rod sounds like a good match in my opinion, yet switch rods are nice too. It all depends on how much actual spey casting use is going to occur. I just got a chance to cast Bill Kiene's new 6wt Echo 3 spey rod and I was very impressed. It had a great softer "feel" that would be great for medium to larger trout and especially fun for fighting shad!

BTW, I also Agree with Jed. Not classy.
    Last edited by Adam Grace; 11-29-2012 at 08:26 PM.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Quote Originally Posted by fyshhead View Post
    Hey mouth , why must you always stir up sh*t on fishing forums? I think you don't catch that many steel on the swing because your mouth is always flowing out sh*t. Karma is paying you back. I don't believe Bill would be upset about that post of Sierra trading post. He is always trying to help everyone's needs and is a big supporter of items being sold on the classifieds, plus he puts his input in on what a great deal some items are. Just go about your business and focus your energy on good thoughts. It's the holidays! This is suppost to be a happy and giving time of the year.
    This is priceless. Thanks for the humor.

And, in case you were wondering, the humor is not me laughing with you, it's laughing at you.

I believe there is a 5120 Echo TR spey outfit for sale on the Classifieds forum. This is a really sweet rod and i'm sure you would get a good deal.... Light enough for trout and perfect for trinity/klamath stuff... Good Luck in your search

I also love my sage VXP 5120 for the exact situations as the above rod. Everyone talks it up as a skagit rod but i think the VXP series is pretty sweet with scandi heads. I have other rods, but don't really use anything else on the Trinity.

Also, maybe a PM message to recommend certain deals would keep people from getting riled up in the future.
    Last edited by Ben J; 11-29-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KobeStopper View Post
    I also love my sage VXP 5120 for the exact situations as the above rod. Everyone talks it up as a skagit rod but i think the VXP series is pretty sweet with scandi heads. I have other rods, but don't really use anything else on the Trinity.
    Talk a little about the vxp, would you? Lines, tip types, characteristic, etc?

I bought a 6129 on KIENE FLY SHOP STAFF recommendation, and think its the best rod in that "range" for sure.

Is the 5120 as good? A hidden gem? (As an owner of the 5119, I'm interested in this rod just for conversation sake....)