Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Earth Tour Of Humboldt

Default Google Earth Tour Of Humboldt

http://lostcoastoutpost.com/2012/nov...ishes-youtube/

Here is a Google Earth tour of large, commercial HumCo marijuana grows... Created by the Humboldt State University Institute for Marijuana Research. It includes some before and after satellite imagery of terracing and timber clearing for grows.

I'm getting pretty disgusted with how the county continues to become a larger grow scene, especially for those from out of the county, state, and even country. It has dramatic environmental effects on our streams; the Eel, Klamath, Redwood Crk, and Mattole watersheds.

I also find it interesting that HSU would create this and post it on YouTube, though we all know what's growing in those greenhouses.

Anyway, thought some of you might find this interesting.

Pretty impressive! I hear you on the effect of what these farms are doing to those local Eco systems. Pretty depressing when you hear about streams that they have dammed up for a water supply and everything down stream of that dries up and dies. Salmon & steelhead smolts and everything else that has a cycle of life in these waters. Thanks for sharing that.

Yeah, it blows me away. The Klamath/Trinity have been dramatically changed by dams and water diversions. The Eel has been devastated by dams, water diversions, and logging. Both the Mattole and Redwood Crk have been devastated by logging, and have been subject to tremendous federal (redwood) and LOCAL (Mattole) restoration efforts. Obviously logging and water "development" project have had greater negative impacts than grows, but i was hoping we could fully move on to a brave new world of holy watersheds in a post logging economy.

It just kills me that people have moved in with no familiarity or respect for these watersheds with huge profits strictly in mind. These grows require huge amounts of water and poison the water and wildlife with their byproducts... Anyways, just thought i'd share.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Huge profits will likely always find the greedy with their "I got me mine, who gives a damn about anything else" attitudes. It really is a shame, seems like the salmon and steelhead of Northern California have an almost impossible complex of threats to their fragile existence.

Not exactly directly related, but similarly frustrating are the increasing numbers of gold prospector opperations in our Sierra rivers and creeks. Many of whom are far more destructive than previous waves of prospectors. Lots and lots of new camps showing up out in the middle of nowhere, most of which look like a bomb went off with the banks completely chewed appart and piles of trash and debris everywhere.

In both instances, it's the scale and utter lack of thought (or concern) for the impact to the local environment they are affecting. I would have no problem with someone spending time out in the streams with a pan and doing minimal impact while panning for gold, nor would I have any problem with someone who had a plant or two in their tomato garden for personal use. It seems like the grow problem in Humbolt has gone from big to huge, to completely out of control ...
    sad,
    JB

I just sent a copy of this link to every one of my State and Federal Reps and the POTUS with a question of why nothing is being done about this, a clear violation of federal law. Maybe if more do the same thing some movement might be taken. But then again.......

Mike O Guest

and yet, if mentioned at all, the only ones who get it in the shorts from the enviros are the wineries, loggers, and cattle ranchers....guess they aren't going organic or something

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    and yet, if mentioned at all, the only ones who get it in the shorts from the enviros are the wineries, loggers, and cattle ranchers....guess they aren't going organic or something
    Actually I think most anyone who is concerned about environmental issues is fairly upset about the impacts of some of the large scale grow operations going on (and the meth labs too for that matter). The majority of the folks that I spend much time with are quite concerned about a broad range environmental issues (although only a few of them identify with the label), and most of them are not happy about this at all.

And I think the only ones really "getting it in the shorts" are the fishes and the critters in this story...
    JB

Question Humboldt Stuff....

The video includes an article from the Times-Standard newspaper. After checking it out, all of the grows shown are relatively small when compared to that of almost any vineyard I've seen and I've seen a bunch. Nothing like seeing row upon row of grape vines on sterilized land drawing unauthorized water from any local water supply (streams, ponds, etc.).

Clear cut logging practices have and still do cause major damage in Humboldt watersheds (e.g. road cutting, erosion, siltation and leaving slash to end up in river bottoms). And, anyone who's seen the damage to riparian habitat caused by cattle stomping down stream banks, urinating and crapping in the streams surely recognizes there's some damage there.

So, those growers/ranchers naturally get more attention because they're easy to see and report.

Marijuana growers are, by nature, secretive and their grow sites, remote. Therefore, they don't get the attention that they deserve. The fact that marijuana is legal in CA doesn't change or forgive the fact that growing marijuana here is still illegal by federal law. Judging from how much effort has been devoted to reporting impacts of grow sites on Sierra rivers/streams, there's little doubt about the level/kind of collective environmental damage caused by that activity.

Legal or illegal, all of these activities generate revenue (sales and taxes) for local/state businesses/governments. Politically, marijuana grows are a hot potato and the owners of these "enterprises" feel that they contribute a product to the market. They've demonstrated that they will lobby and do what it takes to defend their rights.

IMO, if we intend to regulate these activities, studies like the Humboldt State project is a good first step.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Now for some comedy... Apparently Jimmy Kimmel got word of HSU's marijuana research and did a little piece on it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvB_wZZkjQ0
    Last edited by Ben J; 11-28-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Question Kimmel....

Yep!!! JALW (just another Leno wannabe)....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown