Thread: Pumpkins . . . Donkies . . . and Redfish

Default Pumpkins . . . Donkies . . . and Redfish

A week or so before Thanksgiving my buddy Jim May and I headed to Louisiana with the intention of targeting bull redfish which usually show about this time. Schools of bull reds come in from the gulf and winter in the marshes. Last year we fished the third week of October and did quite well but our guide suggested we come a little later if we wanted a better chance at bigger fish.

We arrived at our hotel in New Orleans and promptly called our guide, Capt. Greg Moon, to make plans for being picked up the following morning. We fished with Greg the year before and could hardly wait to meet up again. He’d been telling us of how great the fishing was in October and how many bull “donkey” reds they had taken. This was a new term for us that quickly came to life. Fish in the twenty to thirty pound range have been given this nickname locally because of the incredible hard fight they put up, pulling drag like donkeys.

Our mornings started with breakfast at a local café called Penny’s. Loaded with guides from all around we gathered information about what was biting and where, weather, tides, and so on.

The first two mornings we launched out of Delacroix and headed south through the bayous toward the open gulf where we hoped to find bigger fish waiting.

As we poled into our first cove our guide said to keep our eyes open for glowing orange balls that looked like floating “pumpkins”. The larger redfish show bright orange in the morning sun even in the murky choppy water we were fishing in. The wind had been blowing a steady 25 knots for several days and the water was definitely turbid.

Soon enough our guide shouts out “big fish” and Jim is first up to the platform. A couple of false casts and we get our first hook-up and off this “donkey” goes taking line and drag with ease. The guide now yells for me to get up on the platform and cast straight ahead thirty feet to another fish. Jim is still hooked tight playing his fish in while our guide comes off the poling platform to help with the landing. I in the meantime miss several shots at the other red while this is going on.

Jim gets his fish to the boat and boga’s at twenty-four pounds. Not bad for the first fish of the trip.

Our guide had given Jim an unusual fly in a baby blue and white color pattern to help stand out in the dirty water which Jim used the entire trip. I wanted to use my own creations in a variety of colors which they readily ate as well.

The next several days we took good number of “slot fish” in the 18” - 27” size up to twelve pounds.

The next day, the wind still howling, we decided to head west to another area called Port La Heche hoping to find some cleaner water and a few more big fish. Along the way we met up with another guide named Capt. Rocky Thickstun and his guest whom we partnered with to this new water.

The first bayous here were quite a ways offshore and conditions had not improved. Blowing spray and muddy water soaked all of us. Less frequented here by many fishermen proved a real plus as we had our best day with fifteen reds and several shots at big bulls in the thirty and forty pound range.

While here having lunch, Capt. Rocky’s guest (a former captain as well) decided to trade off and pole for a while too. Not bad for a guy seventy-eight years old.

Our last day we headed to Hopedale and the Biloxi Marsh area. The wind had finally layed down and the water cleared. Same tactics as before but now we could see much better in the stained water. Jim and I both picked up several fish before we were forced to move by a group of dolphins. Sort of like when sea lions come in on your stripers, you have to pack up and move.

With the water clearer it was easy to spot hundreds of juvenile reds in this shallow nursery areas. We ended the day with several bigger fish in the 15#-18# range along with a nice black drum still on Jim’s baby blue fly.

While redfish range from the Chesapeake Bay all the way to Texas the southern Louisiana marshes have to be some of the best redfishing anywhere.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Looks like another epic redfish trip! Thanks for the fine report Tony. Wife and I are going with Capt. Moon in 3 weeks. Can't wait to get some of that redfish goodness.

Thanks Mar. You and your wife will have a great trip assuming the wind doesn't blow too hard. Dress warm, we put on everything we had,,,,, bibs and parkas felt real good.

Say hi to Greg for us. We're already planning next year's trip with him as well.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Tony,
    Great stuff! If you like reading "crime fiction," try some of James Lee Burke's "Dave Robicheaux" novels.
    They take place in that country and often involve fishing; albeit, not fly fishing. Great reads, tho.
    Best,
    Larry S

Cool Swamp Donkies....

WOW!!! What a great trip!!! Must really be fun casting to large fish in shallow water. Altho, it looks like the weather's a bit cold. Probably don't notice it much being in a boat with warm clothing.

The last time I caught a Redfish, I was 15 years old. Hmmm,.... Might just be time to make some plans.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thanks Tony

That is a world class post with wonderful photos......as usual.

That should inspire some to go there....

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Who dat some nice reds! Glad ya'll had a good time, hope the food was just as good. Did ya'll see and sheepshead as well? My family keeps buggin me to come back down. Maybe next year. Love the marsh, Don.
    Don Memmer

Aloha Don,
    We did see a few sheepshead they chased the fly but wouldn't eat it.We had shots at some 30lb to40 lb reds but I think we had buck fever something always seemed to go wrong!!How are things in Hilo?
    Jim May

Hey Jim, I remember big sheepshead during the winter, you could sight cast to them. They like crabs, glad you got the drum. They are ugly, but put up a good fight. Hilo is fine, lots of mahi around. Got 14 last wednesday before turkey day and got 15 yesterday along with some ahi. Lots of papio and bonefish around as well. Let me know when you get over here again. Did you see my 60lb mahi, I don't think it was as big as the one you got in baja, that was a big bull. Here are some pictures, enjoy, Don.

Got this one on wednesday

Got these yesterday

Beach on south side

Papio in kona

bone in kona

Went swimming with this pod of dolphins. Hope you got some gumbo down in the Crescent City, Don.
    Don Memmer

Cool Dolphin....

Really like the photos of the Papio (beautiful colors) and the Dolphin. So, they don't get aggressive if you swim with them??? That would really be a kick!!!
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown