Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelhead fishing

Default Steelhead fishing

I have a hall pass from the wife to pass on Thanksgiving none of the kids are coming and she has to work HMMMMM I would like to go fishing but it is a drive . I live way south. Which river would you recommend I get on I have 5 days 3 which will be for fishing other 2 are for driving. A little help. I will be stopping at the shop to get a new line for my 6 wt spey Thanx For any suggestions Craig

From where you are I would say the trinity or upper Klamath is going to be your best bet. The other thing is you should consider trying to find a guide for one of those days.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn kempkes View Post
    From where you are I would say the trinity or upper Klamath is going to be your best bet. The other thing is you should consider trying to find a guide for one of those days.
    This is the same answer I would give too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Question Steelhead Fishin'....

Wheeeeew!!! Driving to either the Trinity or upper Klamath rivers from Dana Point seems more like a marathon trip to me, even on I-5. I can't say I'd recommend another river for Steelhead but if you're tired of driving, you might consider Steelhead/Trout fishing in the lower/upper Sacramento River. The Sacramento paralels I-5 from Red Bluff northward. Just a thought....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Can you fly?

Cheap flights into medford (they are easy) and you can stay right in shady cove, 15 minutes away and fish the Rogue.

Great access on upper river (right off road), steelhead are STACKED in there, and shouldn't be very busy at all compared to the Trinity.

Save the money on gas and get a flight and rental car, seriously. Stay in Shady Cove http://www.edgewaterinns.com/

or at the Rogue River Lodge

http://www.therogueriverlodge.com/cabin.php

I can't think of an easier DIY, and you will likely spend less money and time than if you drove there.

There are a LOT of fish in the upper rogue at that time. A LOT.

You can always get good guide recommendations here for the rogue as well to do the upper float, and then you'll identify techniques/bugs/access points.

I agree with Jed.

Default 2nd vote for Southern Oregin

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie S View Post
    I agree with Jed.
    I live in the SF bay area, not to far from I-5

I recently drove up to the Klamath and had a great trip. But it actually took me longer to get to the Klamath than it would have taken me to get to the Rogue. I kept thinking about that on the long drive home.

Another thing to consider is if you are on the Klamath you are truly out of touch, the Wife and kids won't even be able to call or text you. If you head to the Rogue, you will still be somewhat near civilization (at least when you get off the water).

Good luck, Craig

Great information guys....thanks.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thank You Gentlemen I appreciate all the advice I am checking the flights to Oregon as we speak I will let you know

Just checked flights to medford 700.00 round trip. Should have asked this question sooner Dammm