Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Spearfishing for stripers

Mike O Guest

Most spearos I know are concerned about merc. in fish as well. I know that if this opens, I am gonna target smaller fish...not due to merc, but because too much fish is a waste. Shoot what you gonna eat.

http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/f...p?topic=4942.0

As far as distance to fish, if the fish lets a spearo within 10 feet, and the fish is comfortable with that, turn out the lights
    Last edited by Mike O; 11-14-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    Most spearos I know are concerned about merc. in fish as well. I know that if this opens, I am gonna target smaller fish...not due to merc, but because too much fish is a waste. Shoot what you gonna eat.

http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/f...p?topic=4942.0

As far as distance to fish, if the fish lets a spearo within 10 feet, and the fish is comfortable with that, turn out the lights
    It's not the dedicated spearos like yourself that guys are worried about. And it's pretty easy to get well within 10 feet of the cow stripers in thier natural environment, simple logic should show you how much damage can be done to the breeding population in short order It seems like a pretty narrow minded agenda was used to push for these new regs, how the potential negative effects it can and will have on an already declining fishery were overlooked is beyond comprehension.

Question Narrow Minded....

Maybe.... I just think this is one of those well intended ideas whose impacts weren't thought thru completely before proposing the change. In reading some of the official documents, I note that this proposal moved fairly quickly and quietly thru the adoption process without much in the way of analysis by DFG staff. Of course, they were directed to make the draft the options by the F&G Commission (one of which is a spearfisher, I believe).

At any rate, I think it's going to be a while before anything can be done to modify this change even if agreement is reached by all involved to do so. Once adopted, a regulation change is adopted, it's very difficult to change it. Especially if recently passed. So, I'm really hoping that Mike O is right and there will be little impact on the resource from this.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown