Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trinity Report

Default Trinity Report

Drove up from Santa Rosa early Fri morning. Little bit of rain, but nothing heavy. Started at Hawkins. Water was Looooooow! But still very fishy. Lots of salmon on redds. Unfortunately, the only thing sitting in with them were smolts. Lots of 'em! Kinda cool how eating salmon eggs is burned into their DNA for such small fish.

Anyway......no fish there. Tried my go-to spots a bit downstream in the Salyer area to no avail. Called it a day. Sat morning, tried at the Campora tanks. Tons of salmon in the riffles, and tons of voracious smolts eating eggs. No real fish around. Tried swinging in the deeper runs and flats below the riffles, but nobody home there either.

So......we said screw it and drove over to Weitchpec. Fished Humboldt riffle for a few hours. The Klamath is in beautiful shape. Fishing was so-so, although we were only there for a few hours.

As for the Trinity.....it's very low and gin clear. I was very surprised by the lack of fish......especially the half-pounders. Last year, same time, there were lots of 'em. And lots of adult fish too. Didn't see or hear of anyone else catching anything either. Tried eggs, stones, CJ's, Humbugs, leeches, swinging, bobicating.......you name it. Fished real hard and covered lots of water. The fish just aren't there.

Oh....and by the way.....the Bigfoot Motel in Willow Creek is a "true gem". In other words.....don't bring your girlfriend or wife there. It's ok for us hardcore guys though. After a bottle of whiskey and several beers, it's the Ritz Carlton!

Judging by the hatch of trucks with rod racks in Del Loma and JC over the weekend, most of the fall run must be up that way.

i was in the lewiston area fishing at steel bridge and indian creek, lots of salmon in the water, kept spooking them while wading around. a couple of deep holes with lots of fish in them, saw some steelhead as well but mostly salmon. found a deep hole and kept seeing fish rising, some coming out of the water, only got two grabs on nymphs and dorsal fin hooked one salmon. not sure why they kept coming up, looked like trout sipping flys. heard that there were lots of fish between junction city and hoopa area, but i guess they're further up stream now. i also tried indicator and swinging flys. had one large steelhead blast 2 ft out of the water about 10 ft from me, made a rippling sound in the air, crazy.

I'm heading up tomorrow.
    Hopefully this rain coming will get them moving again but hopefully it doesn't blow the river out. Fingers crossed.......

I was up river of JC on Friday morning--didn't see a thing--headed down river and saw a bunch of trucks and trailers from JC downriver for about 3 miles--went down and hit Del Loma and again, no fish and no fishermen. I hope they get a bunch of rain this week--that last storm didn't move the river a bit.
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    -A. Einstein.

Default Del Loma

Fished Del Loma today. Plenty of fish in that area. Landed a few & missed a few. Saw steel all the way up to Junction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    Oh....and by the way.....the Bigfoot Motel in Willow Creek is a "true gem". In other words.....don't bring your girlfriend or wife there. It's ok for us hardcore guys though. After a bottle of whiskey and several beers, it's the Ritz Carlton!
    Sounds like a trip made for us considering that trip to Cave Springs in Dunmuir. Nice beds propped up on pseudo-saw horses, paisley bed covers and circa 1950's refridgerator on the back porch (with the freezer frozen closed to a 1 ft x 1 ft space-just enough for two or three ice cream bars). Rustic experience indeed.

EO

Quote Originally Posted by Andris View Post
    I hope they get a bunch of rain this week--that last storm didn't move the river a bit.
    Not a Bit? Where were you fishing? Take a look at CDEC, it definitely move d/s of JC.
    FISH HARD OR GO HOME

Quote Originally Posted by snrubnivek View Post
    Fished Del Loma today. Plenty of fish in that area. Landed a few & missed a few. Saw steel all the way up to Junction.
    I sent you a PM.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

B.F. Motel...don't forget anything in the room when you leave and expect to get it back! Will never go back to that place.