Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A Guide's High; Lake Davis 10/27

Looks like another great outing Jon. Your pictures tell the story...I'd been a little leery about crossing over the creek but you've gotta do what you have to do to get to the fish and you definately got into the fish! Looks like you've got another angler hooked on the Fall shore fishing at Davis...it just doesn't get much better...yeah "INSANE" about sums it up.

Pete
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

We also got into some nice fish, not any pods like Jon, but still a beautifull but chilly day of fishing. We arrived about 9 at Jenkins Point, sunny and around 14 degrees. Frozen shoreline with a few icebergs floating close to shore. Jamie was still rigging when I launched my tube, first cast a nice 19" bow. Got a lot of short strikes today, many grabs, but only about 18 fish landed. The water had dropped from the low 50's last week, to the low 40's this week. Last night, I bought a variety pack of heat packs, the kind you shake up. They made the whole day fishable. They now have a size that is made to stick to the bottom of your sock. They work!! I also put one in my wader pocket. After releasing a fish, I had a microfibre towel to dry my hands, then I would grab the heat pack out of my wader pocket to warm them. I won't fish cold water without them again. They are cheap too!! The road into Jenkins is fine, about 3" of packed snow so you can still get to the waters edge and launch your tube. We also brought a portable propane heater which was priceless while shedding waters in the dark. The bottom line, if you prepare for the elements, you can still enjoy tubing in the cold. Great day of fishing, beautiful scenery, great friend to fish with!
    Another highlight was having a big golden eagle come by twice, only the second time I have seen one in this area. Incredible wing span on these birds. I hope I can get a couple more days in before the freeze
    Tight Lines
    Rockman
    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arrival small.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	5785Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Davis Evening small.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	5786Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fishing Buds small.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	5787Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jamies 20 inch bow small.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	5788Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reflections small.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	5789

Great shots...looks like you had Jenkins to yourself and some good fishing to boot. I've seen quite a few bald eagles at Davis but have only seen the golden eagle twice, both times at the north end of the lake. They're pretty impressive and tough to photograph...it's not like you're sitting there waiting for them...they just come out of no where. Looking forward to further reports...today & tomorrow should be good days with calm winds and outside temps in the mid forties.

Pete
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Nice pics Rockman, I'm stoked you got to fish and enjoy yourself! We saw the Golden Eagle too, headed due south west towards you - That's one big bird! I have a tip for you on the short strikes that Jay Fair taught me; They aren't really short strikes at all. What is happening is the fish takes in your fly and spits it out before you really get a chance to set the hook. This time of year the fish are doing this multiple times while following your fly on the retrieve back in. I had a fish do this 6 times to me before I finally got a solid strip set on. Those fish will follow your fly all the way back to the bank, and if you pull your fly out of the water real slow they will grab it as it rises (like an emerging bug) right in front of you.

Gene - Those are not tubes in the picture but backpacks filled with the all the essentials to make one comfortable out there (stove = hot food!). I've missed your company out there pal!

I'm headed up Wednesday for a half day trip and to bring the boat back to Nevada City for the winter.
    Last edited by Troutstalker55B; 11-12-2012 at 09:33 PM.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Thanks for the tip Jon! I hope I get the chance to fish the bank again before the freeze. I should have walked the bank last Sunday, but ended up tubing the day away. The golden eagle swooped down on a flock of coots out on the point north of Jenkins twice. I thought it was going to grab one each time but did'nt. My guess he has tasted mud hens before. Hehe! Even from my distance when he landed on top of a tree, you could tell this was no ordinary eagle. What a huge body. Hope we meet some day up there. It's always a pleasure to meet people who have a passion for what they do and share their passion with others. Fish On!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1 (2)small.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	5796Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1 (3)small.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	5797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4 (2)small.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	5798

November 23th and not another fly angler in sight but my boys, there was nobody. The weather yesterday was absolutely gorgeous, 58-60 degrees, and not a puff of wind to be had. The water temps ran 42-47.8 degrees and there was no ice or snow to be found thanks to the last storm being so warm. Snow geese were hanging out before making the long flight south, and the coots were still tearing up vegetation while being on the lookout for one hungry northern harrier hawk that was swooping in for the kill. It was one of those unbelievable days when you had to pinch yourself and say "Really?"

Duane from Anaheim and his nephew Will had such a good time hooking fish in the skinny water. The fishing is still great but the fall bite is past its peak, not as many hook ups today as the past 3 weeks have provided. There were some rising fish as well and quite a bit of small brown spiders falling on the water when their web rides came to an end. The fish were keying in on them. Floating lines, 3x, burnt orange and peacock wiggles tails got the attention of rainbows running 16-19". One fish was 23" and close to 4 pounds, it was a real slab!

It's safe to say we have some more fans of fly fishing stillwaters off the bank. Once I show anglers just how easy it can be during the most productive times of the year they understand why this game is so special. Another shot of rain/snow is forecasted from late Wednesday through Sunday, but until then it's going to be nice during the day at Lake Davis. Go get some 'cause once she freezes over it's a long time until the damsels get active and the fish are found in the skinny water right at your feet.
    Last edited by Troutstalker55B; 11-24-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Geeze look at that water...talk about flat. And no snow to speak of...it doesn't get much better. Great shots Jon. Looks like I missed out on a lot great fishing this Fall but thanks for bringing the reports and pictures into my cabin via this great forum. I plan on making up for missed fishing this coming Spring. Mean while I've got the fish soaking in the brine waiting for the smoker.

Maybe we can still get over to Frenchman's and tag some of those pigs you got into fishing the Big Ugly.

Pete
    John Gierach

"One fish was 23" and close to 4 pounds, it was a real slab!"

Jon, where's the pic of the slab? Inquiring minds want to know

Dave,

I'll post that fish pic when I get it from Duane. I still can't believe how nice the weather was and how we had the place to ourselves! Unreal...

Jon, Good job. keep it up. I couldn't rally any of the troops to head up there today. They all wanted to watch football instead of catch fall fish.