Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Guide's High; Lake Davis 10/27

FYI - The weather is going to be fantastic today through next Thursday at the lake with highs from 60-70 degrees!

You can expect flat water, rising fish during the warmest point of the day, and the willows glowing with fall color. It doesn't get any better than this boys and girls! A friend was up at the lake yesterday in jeans and street shoes catching them off the bank without getting his feet wet - That's how shallow of water these rainbows are coming into feed.

Thanks for all the kind words posted above, It's been a pleasure sharing.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Jon,

Thank you for talking about sight-fishing in the Fall at Lake Davis. I finally tried it on Friday and Saturday, and it was fun! I couldn't have done it without the knowledge you share freely on this forum, on Facebook, and on your blog.

I stopped at the J&J Grizzly Store on Friday and the lady said you just delivered a new batch of flies. I knew I better get some Baiocchi Sheep Creek Specials. And that's what I used to catch the first trout I saw cruising a few feet off the bank! The fish weren't rising at first, but when they did... Now I understand why you say it's the best game in town.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5661.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	5766

I took this picture yesterday around noon. The spot was going crazy until the wind put the fish down. I did alright with size 14 emergers, but I need to work on my game. I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks again,

Dave
    You Enjoy Myself

It really doesn't get much better...I'm stuck at home with a bad back and it's killing me not being able to get out to the lake! And of course Jon is out there today again probably having the time of his life or at least helping someone discover that there's a lot more to Stillwater fishing than just trolling from a tube. Be careful...it can be very addicting.

Pete
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Default Great Day at Davis

I'll confirm that the fishing is great. I have waded for fish in the fall for many years. I left my tube at home so I would not have a choice. Released over 30 fish in the 17" -20" slot and a few dinks (14"-15"). The rises are sporadic during the calm times, don't be discouraged, walk with stealth, cast to the weed clusters which are getting sparse due to lower water temps, and keep fishing new water. I got fish within 5 minuets and was getting fish & grabs till it got dark, I started late at 9 a.m.. Some of the fish are not rising on bugs, but cruzing on top, if you see a surface disturbance, get a cast within 5 feet and you got grabbed, several big fish made wakes going to get your fly.
    For stillwater fishing, it does not get better then this. Crystal buggers, Rickersts Stillwater nymph, and of coarse, Sheepscreeks, fished on a floating line while wading in 2'-3' of water.
    If I ever figure out my new camera's editing software, I'll post some pic's.
    Temps were great, wind was minimul, fishing was fantastic!!!
    Anybody who loves sight fishing for aggressive fish, GO NOW!!!
    Rockman

YEM,

I'm so stoked you got a taste of the magic! It's my pleasure to be able to help anglers have a great time on the water and make the memories that last a lifetime. The last two days were the best days I have seen all year on the lake, and I didn't even make one cast.

Dan and Dean from the east bay had the best time with perfect conditions yesterday and today. In two days they touched about 140 rainbows, and boated about 100. So many fish we lost count on exact numbers. They presented their flies with floating lines in shallow water, Int. lines with an extremely fast strip in 6-8 feet of water, and even wanted to learn the Jay Fair style of trolling; Everything kicked ass! Top flies; Burnt orange and dark fiery brown wiggle tails #12, and Sheep Creek specials #12. Today it got close to 70 degrees and I was in a t-shirt! Arctic air and some snow moving in the next few days but the fishing will still be good for those hardy enough to withstand the conditions. I'll be back up after the storm.

Jon.

Fished Davis on Sunday. Only used a cinnamon seal bugger on an intermediate line all day. Caught 16 and lost 5-6. I kept watching near the shoreline for signs of cruising trout but never saw any so I just stayed in the tube. I got a couple that were 20", a few 19", and many 18-17"ers. Great to see the trout at Davis starting to get somee shoulders on them like back in the good 'ol days!!

Default Next Year?

I don't know how much growth takes place in a year at a fertile lake like Davis, but after getting so many fish in the 18" - 20" range, it got me wondering, how big will these fish be next year? If Davis gets at least an average snowpack, I gotta believe next year could be even better. The only way to find out is to keep fishing. I hope I'm lucky enough to get my line wet a couple of more times before the freeze. Thanks Jon for your informative post.

Rockman

Next year the fish will increase in size and girth but to be honest we need those snails back to get the rainbows in the 4-6 pound range again. I wish DFG would reintroduce snails back in the lake or maybe some anglers can bring some in from Frenchman's

Quote Originally Posted by Troutstalker55B View Post
    Next year the fish will increase in size and girth but to be honest we need those snails back to get the rainbows in the 4-6 pound range again. I wish DFG would reintroduce snails back in the lake or maybe some anglers can bring some in from Frenchman's
    I like this idea! Funny thing is I saw snails at Davis a couple of years ago, but this year nada. The trout I caught this weekend had bellies full of daphnia - no snails, no midges, no crawdads. I wonder why they died off? (Or at least seemed to...)

_SHig

Quote Originally Posted by SHigSpeed View Post
    I like this idea! Funny thing is I saw snails at Davis a couple of years ago, but this year nada. The trout I caught this weekend had bellies full of daphnia - no snails, no midges, no crawdads. I wonder why they died off? (Or at least seemed to...)

_SHig
    I think it had to do a lot with the increased population of crawdads...they're voracious feeders and can really clear an area out in little or no time. All the birds were into the snails as well. And finally that last treatment had to have something to do with it. If memory serves it didn't seem like it was gradual more like all of a sudden they were gone. I agree with Jon we need the snails to bulk up the fish.

Pete
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach